How Many LED Lights On a 40 Gallon Breeder

yinoma2001

I've been converting my 40G breeder tank into a more heavily planted tank. Since the depth is only 15-16 inches (probably less once you count the substrate and the height of plants), the PAR is what I need (I use Fluval Aquasky 2.0). My local PetSmart is going out of business so I bought another one for over 60% off as everything is being cleared.

For about a year I've been using one Aquasky to light the 40G, and obviously it doesn't cover the whole tank as it is pretty deep. Should I put the 2nd Aquasky on it to have full coverage? I do notice that the plants in the back do not seem to be getting enough light at this moment. Or am I inviting an algae explosion?

I would typically have the lights in the front, and though it does give some coverage to the back, not as much as the front obviously.

86 ssinit

2 lights are better than one for plants. But now you will have to watch for algae. May want to put lights on a timer for a on off on time. Like on at 8am till 12pm than off till 4pm and back on till 8pm. This keeps the algae from growing but plants still do good. Next is get a uv steralizer. This also kill algae.

yinoma2001

2 lights are better than one for plants. But now you will have to watch for algae. May want to put lights on a timer for a on off on time. Like on at 8am till 12pm than off till 4pm and back on till 8pm. This keeps the algae from growing but plants still do good. Next is get a uv steralizer. This also kill algae.

Thanks. Yeah, the Aquaskys are Bluetooth so it's easy to set up light time like that. I just couldn't pass up getting another Aquasky for so cheap.

86 ssinit

Just curious how much was it?

yinoma2001

Just curious how much was it?

Got the 36-48inch (27 watt) one for $50. On Amazon/other box stores listed at anywhere from $90-110.

I'm not growing any high light plants. Mostly low to medium-low at the moment. But since the 40 breeder is not tall, it gets ok PAR (probably in the 40s and at the high point of the plants much better). I just like not having any remote controls to fumble around with and it's waterproof or heavily water resistant. I've dropped it in the tank before and it's fine!

Chanyi

Yea, a 40 breeder really needs at least 2 LED strip style fixtures.

You'll be fine with 2 Aquaskys, they aren't PAR machines, and can easily be dimmed. Start at 5-6 hours of light per day, say ~75% full intesity, and then slowly increase this up to 8 hours or so if algae isn't present, or slowly increase the intensity.

yinoma2001

Yea, a 40 breeder really needs at least 2 LED strip style fixtures.

You'll be fine with 2 Aquaskys, they aren't PAR machines, and can easily be dimmed. Start at 5-6 hours of light per day, say ~75% full intesity, and then slowly increase this up to 8 hours or so if algae isn't present, or slowly increase the intensity.

Yeah. I find that my plants in the front grow like weeds (which is where I put my light 80% of the time) and the back is more modest. I think my OTOs, rubber lip pleco and mollies might like some algae though. LOL.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jaydivingboard
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Ophitoxaemia
Replies
Views