How many Kuhli loaches in a 60l (15g) aquarium?

animalgirl257

Hello, I am fairly new to the fishkeeping hobby and am wondering how many kuhli loaches I can keep in my 60l aquarium. I already have 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 female bettas, 3 platys, and 6 otocinclus. I want to have a fish that will scavenge and eat leftover bloodworms and flakes. ( otocinclus only eat algae).
I don't want to overcrowd my tank but if I get the kuhli loaches I don't want them to be lonely and nervous because they aren't in a big enough school. I have read in lots of places about how many should be kept together; some say one is fine but others say at least 6. If kuhli loaches are too big for my tank is there any other smaller fish I could keep that would eat leftovers?
By the way, I don't have much floor space(my tank is 40 x 40 x 50.8cm) but I have lots of hiding places, live plants, and driftwood. Sand and fine gravel are the substrates.
Thank you
I forgot to say that i have a filter, a heater, and a light. I have a ph of 7.6 and a temperature of 25 degrees Celcius (77farenheit). I do weekly 25% water changes and all my fish seem healthy.

SilverStarBettas

Hi!
I wouldn't recommend keeping kuhli loaches in anything less then a 20 gallon long, because they can be very active fish that should be in a group of at least 6, plus they get 4" a piece, so their a bit large for your tank. But I can recommend corydoras, their very good at keeping the tank clean (ofc you still need to do water changes). And their very adorable. They like to be in a group of at least 3, and thats not going to be too hard on your tank, though I wouldn't do more then 5 with that stocking

There was one concern I had, about the bettas and gouramis being kept together. This usually doesn't work out, even if the gouramis are females and so are the bettas, its just too much aggression. And if you haven't seen any aggression doesn't mean its not happening
I would separate the bettas and gouramis asap, dwarf gouramis can be some of the most aggressive

Upvote 0

animalgirl257

Ok, thank you. My bettas and Gouramis seem to be doing fine at the moment but I will keep that in mind if I see some agression. I dont have much open space on the ground of my aquarium, would that be a problem with corydoras? Also, there are lots of types of corys, which one would you recommend?
thx

Upvote 0

SilverStarBettas

They do like a bit of open space, but mainly they'll spend their time swimming from one side of the tank to the other, their very active. They also like places to hide, but their not super skittish, just make sure you do have open room for them to scavenge around for food

About the types, really any will work, but I won't recommend peppered corys, cuz they require cooler water while some of your other fish, like bettas and gouramis, need hotter temps. There are some small varieties that get about an inch, the salt and pepper corys and they pygmy corys, but all the smaller varieties like to be in a school of at least 6, if you do a smaller type you could have 6-8
Most other types get about 2.5 inches each, and need to be in a school of at least 3, but the more the merrier. With some of the larger varieties (albinos, skunks, sterbais, bronze, and emeralds are some of the most common), you could have a school of around 3-5

Upvote 0

animalgirl257

Ok, thank you. I think the fish store that I buy my fish from sells bronze corydoras and albino corydoras so I will research them. Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0

SilverStarBettas

Np
If you need anymore info on corys feel free to ask me

Upvote 0

animalgirl257

thank you

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views