How many Kuhli loaches in a 29 gallon (only fish stocking besides shrimp)?

LoachBoat

Would 8-12 be an okay number or lower like 6?

veggieshark

In this case, foot print is more important. It is a tall tank, but you still have the footprint of less than a 20g long. Number to gallon-wise, it is OK, but they might be crowded at the bottom and the tank will have an empty look. On the other hand, they like being crowded. So it is up to you. I think I would be in the 6-8 range with a lot of things for them to get in and out of. You might want ornaments (driftwood) that go all the way to the top, so shrimp can occupy that space and the tank doesn't look empty.

Upvote 0

LoachBoat

In this case, foot print is more important. It is a tall tank, but you still have the footprint of less than a 20g long. Number to gallon-wise, it is OK, but they might be crowded at the bottom and the tank will have an empty look. On the other hand, they like being crowded. So it is up to you. I think I would be in the 6-8 range with a lot of things for them to get in and out of. You might want ornaments (driftwood) that go all the way to the top, so shrimp can occupy that space and the tank doesn't look empty.
Thank you for the input!

Upvote 0

AngryRainbow

I had approximately 12-15 java loaches in a 29 gallon for a period of time. I didn't feel that they were over crowded. I had plenty of rockwork and plants that they would sort of drape themselves over and use to have more space than just the bottom of the tank. I've since moved them to a 40 gallon breeder and then a 75 gallon. They did appreciate the extra space with each move, but I think they were happy in the 29 also. I observed no signs of stress, they were always out and active for me.

So I think your option with 8-12 would work out fine with just shrimp.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

I have 20 in a 25gal. But it's full of plants top to bottom and rocks/wood so they use entire tank and they are happy out.

In a 29g 12-15 is a good number I think bioload wise considering they are the only fish and to make them comfortable enough to come out. You would need to provide lots of cover and hiding places though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tetraman124
Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies
Views