How many koi in a 500 gallon pond?

angelfish220
How many Koi can go in a 500 gal pond?

sirdarksol
When full grown, I think you're looking at around four or five, max, but I might be overestimating there.

hockeyref88
4 or 5 if you have exceptionally good filtration and you stay on top of water changes. 2 or 3 would be better or if you want more fish goldfish or comets.

Mr.Fishyfish
you should get small ones and watch them grow brings tears to my eyes

angelfish220
I asked because my mom has 6 koi and 1 goldfish in her 500 gal pond, and it just seems really crowded.

sirdarksol
It partly depends on the depth. In the right conditions, 6 koi could be moderately happy in a 500g pond. If it were inside (controlled temp and protection from predators) and relatively shallow, they'd be happy, as what koi like is horizontal swimming room.

angelfish220
Its not inside, but there is a gate surronding it to keep out preditors, but that pond just seems really small for that big of fishys.

hockeyref88
The largest one in this picture is about a foot long. The smallest is about 4 inches. I have 3 other fish besides the fish in that picture in a 1000 gallon pond and I feel like I'm right at the limit of being over stocked. If you factor in growth 500 gallons is not very much water when its comes to koi.

angelfish220
Yeah, koi get so big. I just don't think that 6 koi can fit in that pond comfortably, course I've told mom that but she dosent care...

sirdarksol
I'm thinking if the pond was only a foot deep or less, and I doubt that most people have a pond that shallow.

hockeyref88
Yeah, koi get so big. I just don't think that 6 koi can fit in that pond comfortably, course I've told mom that but she dosent care...

Well then good filtration and frequent water changes are porbably needed. Good luck.

angelfish220
Now I'll be changing pond water along with tanks! I hate how she is thinking about digging another pond but isn't taking care of this one...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• FishWithTim
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Biev
  • Question
  • TheAnglerAquarist
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Ellebrius