How Many Keyhole Cichlids In 55g Community?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all. I recently upgraded my 20 long to a 55. current stocking is 7 harlequin rasboras (will be 15 eventually), 7 peppered corys (will be 10-15 eventually) and two bolivian rams. I've been looking for a centerpiece for a while that is larger than the bolivians, peaceful and can do well in a tank kept around 74-75 degrees. I've stumbled on the keyhole cichlid which everything i've read says are peaceful, grows to 4-5 inches and can even live in groups regardless of sex. With this stocking how many do you all think I could do in my standard 55 gallon? I'm thinking 4-5. Let me know of your experience with these fish as well!

Rohit mess

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Considering a 55G tank, along with 12 rasboras and 12 cory, you can add upto 6 of those keyhole chiclids.
These numbers are only valid for the overall tank volume and stocking levels and I will recommend not going above it.

However if the keyhole chiclid forms a pair then there will be aggression! (And rasboras will be a primary target)

A member which has had success/ experience with keeping keyhole pairs in community or with other keyholes, can enlighten on this behavior.

OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with 5. I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank a pair can go into during spawning if any pair up and spawn. I'm assuming they would only have to be separated from the main tank until eggs are laid or does aggression continue for a period after that? Anyone with keyhole cichlid experience please chime in!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 4 keyholes years ago in a 30 gallon and they never caused any problems, even when breeding. The eggs always ended up as a snack because they were in a community tank but I never saw real aggression other than chasing tank mates away but not like Cujo. Fish do have their own personality so you could end up with a really mean one but generally, they're very peaceful. I don't remember them getting much bigger than 3-4".

Rohit mess

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree to DarkOne on the snack thing. I had observed that my neon tetras lay eggs, but becomes snack even before I know it or I can move it.

OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright I'm going to go with getting 6 of them. I'm ordering online and want at least 5 so I'll order 6 in case one doesn't make it. I can either rehome one or move one to another tank if one is particularly aggressive. I'm off on vacation for two weeks then I'll be ordering the keyholes, more harlequins and corys to complete their schools and adding one rio-negro pleco which will complete my tank stocking. can't wait!

New Threads