How Many Keyhole Cichlids In 55 Gallon

Gillyfish

I have a 55 gallon planted tank with a single Bolivian ram and a single angelfish. I have Corys and pristella tetras also. I plan on getting 1 or 2 keyholes. I’ve read differing opinions on keep a single keyhole. Some say yes some say they are too shy to keep as a loner. I don’t mind getting 2 but my concern is if I end up with a breeding pair they might gang up on my ram. How aggressive are breeding keyholes? Is there an easy way to sex juvenile keyholes? Would I be better off trying to get 2 females or 2 males to keep breeding aggression down?

Coradee

Keyholes are imo very underrated fish, they can be a little shy to start so I wouldn’t suggest keeping a single one.
I had a group of 3 with angels & they kept themselves to themselves however they weren’t breeding so hang on for opinions from members who’ve kept breeding pairs/groups.

Gillyfish

Thanks for the reply. I think I may go with at least 3. Now I just have to check with my lfs this week to see if they ordered them like they were supposed to.

CMB

Gillyfish said:
Thanks for the reply. I think I may go with at least 3. Now I just have to check with my lfs this week to see if they ordered them like they were supposed to.
I don't know how different they are from Bolivian Rams, but I have a breeding pair of rams now and they really just guard an area 3-6 inches around their babies. They don't hurt any fish, just chase them off, and they don't even take that much space to guard. With that being said, maybe your Bolivian Ram would like a friend or two? Mine are rather social little guys, so what if you got another ram, then maybe get 4 or so of the Keyhole cichlids?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom