How Many Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by sgar, Apr 7, 2019.

1. sgarNew MemberMember

Hello,
    I currently have a 65 gallon tank with some small community fish. I am cycling a 30 gallon to move them to as there are only a few and want to get a Jack Dempsey. I normally do small community fish but am changing it up. In researching them, it looks like a 65 gallon may be best for 1 fish, but wanted to get some insight as there are a lot of more knowledgeable people here. I was hoping originally to do 2, but am not sure if that is a good idea.
    Any input s appreciated.

2. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Hello. Welcome to Fishlore!!! I have a JD named Rocky in a 72 gallon Bow Front. I decided to get him a girlfriend named Adrian. BIG MISTAKE!!! He beat her up and put her in the hospital. As soon as she's better she is going back to the LFS and Rocky will live by himself the rest of his life!!! :D

3. sgarNew MemberMember

Hello Dawn, I did read about your misfortune, which is partly why I was re-thinking getting two. I was wondering if getting two at the same time if they would become use to each other. I think though, I have settled on one being the best option, as I do not have another tank if they can't coexist

4. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

I would LOVE to tell you it would work. It might not. I have heard people say they got along and all of a sudden they didn't. I would have to say go with just one.

5. sgarNew MemberMember

Thanks for your advice. It seems like from other things I read as well, the best option is the one.

6. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Your welcome. Good luck & post picture's when you get him. :)