How many is too many?

Aquaholic
Would 12 plants be too many for my 20 gal? I’m looking into getting a live plant kit. Comes with 4 background, 4 mid ground, and 4 foreground plants. I currently have 1 Anubias (regular), 1 short Anubias, and 3 little mounds of dwarf grass. (Assuming it will eventually carpet the bottom of the tank) I know the saying of “it’s only too many if the fish can’t swim” but I wanted some of your feedback or possible experience with this. (Still learning and love the hobby!) I hope I don’t get too addicted to live plants now!! Haha

nzfszr
Which plants does have that kit?
Saying of "It's only too many if the fish can't swim" is right sayin. But the important thing is which plant's do you have. Some plant's are invaders. So at most they can inhibit the growth of other plants, but I don't think they could cause any more problem.

MacZ
As long as the plants don't outcompete each other for nutrients and light you can put in as many plants as you want. Ultimately this depends all on your water parameters and lighting.
Keep an eye on the nutrients and on the growth, you will notice when an individual plant or a whole species is struggling.

Aquaholic
nzfszr said:
Which plants does have that kit?
Saying of "It's only too many if the fish can't swim" is right sayin. But the important thing is which plant's do you have. Some plant's are invaders. So at most they can inhibit the growth of other plants, but I don't think they could cause any more problem.
They say it’s picked by their aquascapers and what they have on hand/ in season. You really don’t know what you get until it arrives. Almost every review I have read on their website (modernaquarium.com) is almost all 5 star reviews and most all of the people are happy with the purchase and said they didn’t expect it to be as thought out as they expected and exceeded their expectations
MacZ said:
As long as the plants don't outcompete each other for nutrients and light you can put in as many plants as you want. Ultimately this depends all on your water parameters and lighting.
Keep an eye on the nutrients and on the growth, you will notice when an individual plant or a whole species is struggling.
Awesome thanks! I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I currently have LED lighting for the plants and I went a little higher wattage but don’t necessarily need it, but just in case I got more plants you know? And can adjust accordingly. Basically not to where the light is maxed out so to speak. Thank you again!

MacZ
I might also add, on the long run, depending on what plants exactly you add, it might happen that one or two species take over the tank and outcompete everything else. This is in principle not that bad, as in nature you almost always see one species dominating a whole body of water. E.g. in my main tank 90% of the plant bio mass is just one species.

Aquaholic
MacZ said:
I might also add, on the long run, depending on what plants exactly you add, it might happen that one or two species take over the tank and outcompete everything else. This is in principle not that bad, as in nature you almost always see one species dominating a whole body of water. E.g. in my main tank 90% of the plant bio mass is just one species.
Gotcha! Makes sense. Thank you! I’ll be mindful of that. I’m starting to realize live plants are just about as addicting as fish! Haha

JettsPapa
Too many plants? That's a thing?

Magua
JettsPapa said:
Too many plants? That's a thing?
^^That!! :) I can not stop adding plants!! I just put in some creeping Jenny from Home Depot to try. I think I have about 30+ Plants in my 29g.

Aquaholic
Nice! I think I may be joining everyone in this thread with the addiction to live plants!! It’s real! Haha

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom