How Many Hours Per Day To Run The Bubble Curtain?

ReefShark

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
55 gallon, salt, with hard corals and fish. -- How many hours a day should I run my bubble curtain to keep the dissolved oxygen at the proper level?

I have two powerheads running 24/7

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't think I would use it at all, you can end up taking salt out of the water when the bubbles pop at the surface. That will both mess up your salinity and give you a big salt deposit on your lid. I think I would be better to have one of your powerheads aimed slightly at the surface to do the same thing the bubbles will do.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know anything about salt water tanks, but I'm curiose about how could bubles popping remove salt from the tank?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not sure what the best way to explain it would be... If you've ever been on the beach and been hit by some ocean spray, do you get hit by freshwater or is there still salt in that water? Just like with the spray, there's salt in the water that's being displaced in a way that makes some of it splash onto the lid or sides. There's still salt in the water that's now on the lid and even though the water will evaporate eventually, salt doesn't evaporate so it either falls back down or stays on the lid. Once some of it starts staying up there it's more likely that the next bits of salt will "bind" to it instead of falling off. Kinda like how you can make rock candy by hanging a string in a sugar water solution.
I'm not saying it's impossible, it can just become a major pain in the butt to be scraping salt deposits off the lid and/or adding just a little salt here and there to account for what goes on the lid.

New Threads