How Many Hours Of Darkness Do Fish Need?

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is 6 hours of "lights out" enough?

I kinda like to look at my tank in the morning while having coffee and before I leave for work. And of course I want to enjoy them in the evening after work and I want to make sure my plants are getting the light that they need. I'm finally getting around to putting everything on timers and just want to make sure that I'm giving the tank a long enough "reset" period each night.

Right now my plan is to have a lower power light from 5:30 - 7:30 in the morning followed by only the heavily filtered daylight that comes thru the window during the day (closed blinds and room faces north) and the bright "grow and show" light come on in the afternoon around 4 and run until 11 pm. Then off for the 6 hours. Rinse and repeat. I'll probably amend that some on the weekends of course.

Thoughts?

YellowFish13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Should be fine. If you are going to be earlier some days, turn your light of then. Never less than 6 hours. 7-8 hours would be a little more ideal. Mimic the sunrise and sunset as much as possible.

OP
Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I might move the afternoon/evening time frame from 3-10. I'm usually up a little later than that but if I just HAVE to look at my tank I can manually turn them on and off too. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!

New Threads