How many hours does cardinal tetra need to sleep?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
other way round. They like it quite dark, so mine only panic a tiny bit when I switch on the lights too suddenly and bright. I first open the window shades and give them a few minutes to "wake up" before I switch the lights on.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Neyndusk said:
how many hours does cardinal tetra need to sleep?
if I turn the light on immediately, will they panic and get stress?
It would be better if you could turn on the lights gradually. Before I got my new light I would turn on the ceiling light first. after a bit I would open the lid to allow more light in and only then would I turn on the tank lights. There were 2 of them so I would turn them on one at a time with a bit of time between turning on each one. The new light turns the light on gradually and turns them of gradually too. No more startled fish :)

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
It would be better if you could turn on the lights gradually. Before I got my new light I would turn on the ceiling light first. after a bit I would open the lid to allow more light in and only then would I turn on the tank lights. There were 2 of them so I would turn them on one at a time with a bit of time between turning on each one. The new light turns the light on gradually and turns them of gradually too. No more startled fish :)
My lights have that mode, too. Still have to take precautions cause the room is generally rather dark.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neyndusk said:
how many hours does cardinal tetra need to sleep?
if I turn the light on immediately, will they panic and get stress?
Hello Ney...

Most aquarium fish are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. If they receive roughly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dusk or darkness, they'll be fine.

Old