How Many Hours Do You Keep Aquarium Light Turned Off During Introduction Of Sensitive Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Gohi, May 31, 2019.

?

How many hours do you keep aquarium light turned off during new fish introduction?

1. 4 hours or less

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 8 hours or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Two day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never turned off

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  6. Three day or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gohi

GohiNew MemberMember

Hi guys, how many hours do you keep the light turned off when you introduce new fish in planted aquarium. As you know many people use very bright light and most LFS store fish in midium to low light. So how much time you let the fish take to get adjusted to your aquarium.

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I usually just dont turn my lights on that day.

3. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Really?????
    We are talking tropicals and the normal conditions are 12 hours daylight and 12 hours of night. Remember that most of the aquarium fish are bred in artificial conditions so what they are used to is determined by the breeder. If we assume that there is some inbuilt instinct then 12/12 would be the case.
    I am not aware of any reason to change the lighting requirements on the introduction of new fish and have never had a problem in the past.

4. notBrandon

notBrandonValued MemberMember

When I add new fish, I try to do it later in the day, when it's almost dark. I try to limit any stress, such as outside movement or vibrations, lights, sound, etc.