How many guppy fry and how often?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Gouramiguy17, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

I finally got over how cute guppy fry and realized they are my enemies and now i am starting to feed them to my betta. I take my betta and move her into a little jar and then i dump the fry in(she has trouble catching them in the main tank) My question is: how many fry should i feed her and how often should i feed her fry?

2. Tony G.

Tony G.Fishlore VIPMember

I used to feed my Boy 2 fry a week. Only use them as treats though, too much protein isnt very good. Make sure they arent very big either ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

ooops, i over dosed my little girl, i fed her 4 today, time to get the peas

4. Tony G.

It'll be fine, as long as they're small, but i would skip a couple days before i fed her again :)

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello GouramiGuy. I would be hesitant about moving your Betta to a jar for feeding time. This may lead to stress and then to disease.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

She shows a little bit of stress at first but once she realizes there is food in there she stops showing signs of stress
    Btw: the jar isnt too small,she can swim fine, it's just that if the jar is too big the guppys will out run her. She is a slow poke, I would be too if I had a lot of long fins behind me too

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. enthusiast

enthusiastValued MemberMember

I 2nd that, relating to putting her in the jar. It seems hasslesome and stressful

for my betta i always just make sure theres 5 or so fry in his tank all the time....he is slow i'll agree to that, but it always turns out that the fry disappear! so i figure it gives him the exercise and gives him a chance to practice his primal hunting strategies :) as if he were in the wild

8. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

There are also too many plants, a huge mass of hornwort which the fry hide in but it is too dense for my betta to swim through

9. Tony G.

I just let the fry in the tank, have him haunt them down, trust me its a blast watching them, especially cuz theyre slow. But then he hides and the fry go by without noticing him and bam! yummy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice