How many guppy fry and how often?

1. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I finally got over how cute guppy fry and realized they are my enemies and now i am starting to feed them to my betta. I take my betta and move her into a little jar and then i dump the fry in(she has trouble catching them in the main tank) My question is: how many fry should i feed her and how often should i feed her fry?

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I used to feed my Boy 2 fry a week. Only use them as treats though, too much protein isnt very good. Make sure they arent very big either ;)

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

ooops, i over dosed my little girl, i fed her 4 today, time to get the peas

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

It'll be fine, as long as they're small, but i would skip a couple days before i fed her again :)

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello GouramiGuy. I would be hesitant about moving your Betta to a jar for feeding time. This may lead to stress and then to disease.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

She shows a little bit of stress at first but once she realizes there is food in there she stops showing signs of stress
    Btw: the jar isnt too small,she can swim fine, it's just that if the jar is too big the guppys will out run her. She is a slow poke, I would be too if I had a lot of long fins behind me too

7. enthusiast Member Member

I 2nd that, relating to putting her in the jar. It seems hasslesome and stressful

for my betta i always just make sure theres 5 or so fry in his tank all the time....he is slow i'll agree to that, but it always turns out that the fry disappear! so i figure it gives him the exercise and gives him a chance to practice his primal hunting strategies :) as if he were in the wild

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

There are also too many plants, a huge mass of hornwort which the fry hide in but it is too dense for my betta to swim through

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I just let the fry in the tank, have him haunt them down, trust me its a blast watching them, especially cuz theyre slow. But then he hides and the fry go by without noticing him and bam! yummy :)