Question How Many Guppies?? Stocking

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!!

So a while ago I was rehomed a 10 gallon tank with 3 mollies in it. Two of them were babies, and I added a female betta and amano shrimp to the tank. As the babies got bigger and created more waste, and I did more research, I decided to rehome them all because the tank couldn’t support them. Now I would like some fancy guppies to go with my female betta, but I’m nervous about getting livebearers again because of the amount of waste they create. I don’t want to overstock and have my water quality suffer in that tank again. What would be a safe number of guppies to add with my girl?? Thank you!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"How many guppies" is a subjective question. The answer will be very different depending on your circumstances and goals.

If the tank is intended to be a display tank with minimum maintenance, a very small number of guppies would be appropriate.

I agree with the advice to add only males to the tank. Unless you're ready to set up many more tanks and make plans for hundreds of fry to grow out, leave the females out.

Personally, I'm breeding for growth and numbers. I have two 20Gs with my culls for growout and sale to the LFS, and I don't know exactly how many, but it's probably around 100 in each tank. I also do 50% water changes twice a week. If you're willing to do the maintenance, you can put a lot of fish into a tank that wouldn't be appropriate if you're into a more casual approach.

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
"How many guppies" is a subjective question. The answer will be very different depending on your circumstances and goals.

If the tank is intended to be a display tank with minimum maintenance, a very small number of guppies would be appropriate.

I agree with the advice to add only males to the tank. Unless you're ready to set up many more tanks and make plans for hundreds of fry to grow out, leave the females out.

Personally, I'm breeding for growth and numbers. I have two 20Gs with my culls for growout and sale to the LFS, and I don't know exactly how many, but it's probably around 100 in each tank. I also do 50% water changes twice a week. If you're willing to do the maintenance, you can put a lot of fish into a tank that wouldn't be appropriate if you're into a more casual approach.
I’ve been doing water changes once a week for all my tanks, so I decided to go with 3 male guppies in with my female betta, just to be safe. So far they’re all doing great!

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom