How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon?

sadcanine

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys, I currently have a 10 gallon tank filled with solely guppies. I have quite a bit of them in there as they keep breeding, and would like to know how much is too much. Thank you for your help.

OP
sadcanine

sadcanine

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AJE said:
If it were me, I would have three males
That’s what I started with, except for the fact that I got one male and 2 females. Is it a problem to have more than 3 if your tank is cycled and they are all healthy?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as nitrates don't go over 40 I'd say you're good. Technically you can over stock (not counting improper stocking, eg an Oscar in a 10 gallon) as much as you want, as long as you can keep parameters in check.

jlscientist

Reaction score
have 6 guppies and 2 fry in my 10 gall0n. I planning to get more than 10 though. Overstock if you have enough bio filtration and you can keep up with the water changes.

RainBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO I wouldn't go over 5 females because they are so large, or 6 males. Although you could go above, no my much, as long as you can keep up with all those fish. Are you getting rid of the fry? Are the adults eating them ever?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't have more than 5 adults. If you plan to keep both genders then I'd do a maximum of 1 male and 4 females.

OP
sadcanine

sadcanine

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
As long as nitrates don't go over 40 I'd say you're good. Technically you can over stock (not counting improper stocking, eg an Oscar in a 10 gallon) as much as you want, as long as you can keep parameters in check.
Ok, thank you for the response.

OP
sadcanine

sadcanine

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RainBetta said:
IMO I wouldn't go over 5 females because they are so large, or 6 males. Although you could go above, no my much, as long as you can keep up with all those fish. Are you getting rid of the fry? Are the adults eating them ever?
Yeah, the adults are eating the fry but I feel so bad for them and end up saving at least one every drop. I’ve started to stop this, (although it’s hard for me) and just letting them live in the tank. I did have a fry that lived in the tank for 3 weeks without getting eaten. I also had a betta in there st one point and she helped a ton with the population control, but sadly she passed away recently.

New Threads