How many guppies in a 10 gallon?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Kasye, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I think 4-5 would be the max. Do you have all male guppies?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

I have two males and one female (I know it's supposed to be 2 females to every male), because I actually got these fish from my sister's tank, where her guppies breed like CRAZY. I asked her to bring me all males, but they were barely more than fry when I got them, so she couldn't really tell (of course I looked at them and knew right away I had 2 males and a female). Though, I watch them a lot, she doesn't seem to get harassed by the males. (She actually chases them a lot, it's kind of funny)

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Having 2 males to one male will leave you with a lot of fry. It's best to have all male guppies so that they won't over populate your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Don't worry, you'll get more guppies than you know how to handle in the next few months just by having a girl in there. :p

6. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

I don't know, they still have a month long gestational period ;) She might not get overrun too quickly.

When my guppy tank was set up I had 8 (2 males, 6 females, 1:3 ratio) in there and I'd say that I was a bit overstocked on floor space. I think as long as you are planted well and have good filtration where keeping the nitrates in line, you can keep up to 6 in a 10g with them not being in each others faces the entire time. I didn't have any trouble whatsoever filtration wise with 8 in my tank, and I had below recommended filtration (but a tank FULL of plants using the Walstad method, I'm sure that helped...) I've since moved them to a 20g with 4 of their fry (they've already dropped babies on me again..) and now I'm sitting right around 15 guppies, all of the babies still a bit too small for me to sex with any definite certainty.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would say 5 males max.

8. OP
    OP
    Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

I've actually had these guppies for a number of months now, only once have I ever seen fry, and they disappeared shortly after! I'm pretty certain between the shrimp and the adult guppies, any fry get munched up pretty quickly. But trust me, I know how prolific livebearers are!

I think I'll add another male, and watch how that goes for awhile. If the one female gets to be an issue, I'll look into moving her. I do like her though because she has a rim of blue on the end of her tail, so she's not quite as dull looking as some female guppies.

9. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

If you let everything go naturally such as no breeding nets, no moving adults, just letting nature take its course, there usually aren't a lot of survivors. I have a lot of housing places and have only been keeping about 2 to 4 a month. I'm only breeding for live snacks so overpopulation isn't a fear.

10. OP
    OP
    Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

Yeah, I used to save the babies when I had platies, but now I don't really want the guppy fry, so I don't intervene at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice