How Many Guppies Can I Put In A 20gallon Aquarium

Baileymcdonald

Reaction score
Hi just wondering how many guppies can I keep in my 20 gal long aquarium
I started off with 2 males and 3 females on the first 3 weeks if owning them 2 of the females got pregnant and had around 15 babies combined now 4 weeks later there are another 15, 18 in the tank a total of 20, 25 babies eventually I want to sell all the females and keep just some good looking males
And I'm just curious to see how many I can fit in this tank, any awnsers would be apritiated.

Also......
Ehiem classic 250 canister
Heavily planted
A few good hiding places and visual blocks in case the males get agressuve
Temperature 25 27 degrees Celsius
And weekly 25, 35 percent water changes done every sunday

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I started off with 2 males and 3 females on the first 3 weeks if owning them 2 of the females got pregnant and had around 15 babies combined now 4 weeks later there are another 15, 18 in the tank a total of 20, 25 babies eventually I want to sell all the females and keep just some good looking males
And I'm just curious to see how many I can fit in this tank, any awnsers would be apritiated.

Also......
Heavily planted
20 Full Grown Guppies I think.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the fishkeeper. I've seen 100 guppies in a 20G, with automatic daily water changes.

How often are you willing to test the water and do water changes?

The one-fish-per-gallon rule is overly generalized, and it only applies to one-inch fish.

How heavily are you going to feed?

What are your breeding goals?

Probably a more relevant question would be what's your plan for growing and breeding the babies. If you don't plan out additional tanks and how you'll use them, the population will be controlled by overcrowding.

Guppies are generally pretty docile, but males can fight over territory. Usually as long as you're doing frequent partial water changes, have some plants, and water parameters remain stable, they won't nip at each other.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was breeding them getting around 30 in a 20 gallon standard was were you had to watch your water conditions. If you want to stay with weekly maintenance I wouldn't go over 25. You can judge off your nitrate rise between water changes to fine tune things.

Vancouver Mike

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Also......
Heavily planted
The usual rule is a gallon per fish but that doesnt always hold water, and after reading about your set up ,I think you could go as high as 25-30. Great filtration and a heavily planted tank can really help u keep a healthy tank and water parameters, so if u wanted to have more go for it just keep an eye on things and of course dont introduce to many at once! iGL

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The usual rule is a gallon per fish but that doesnt always hold water, and after reading about your set up ,I think you could go as high as 25-30. Great filtration and a heavily planted tank can really help u keep a healthy tank and water parameters, so if u wanted to have more go for it just keep an eye on things and of course dont introduce to many at once! iGL
Gallon per fish? I can't think of one fish that "rule" works with.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gallon per fish? I can't think of one fish that "rule" works with.
I misspoke. The rule I was referring to is the "one-inch-per-gallon rule."

But since the rule works only with one-inch fish, it could be restated as one gallon per fish. LOL!

Baileymcdonald

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much for your opinions and info I think once the babies grow old enough to sex them I will give the females to my lfs in exchange for store credit and I'll probs stick to 15 20 males once I'm happy with their colouration and fin size at the moment all my adult guooys are orange and they are beautiful most of the fry are yellow but there are 4 or more black ones I hope they turn out blue like the other ones I've seen at my lfs but who knows what I'll get....... And I can't thank you all enough

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Baileymcdonald
:emoji_thumbsup:Nice start on the tank.
Good questions.
One addition to the info you have gotten. Most keepers fail to realize, once you add the substrate, hardware and deco to the tank it displaces the amount of water you have. So, actually your 20g is 16g (+/-). And as mentioned guppies breed like rabbits.

Good Luck!

Oh, by the way
"Welcome" to the forum.
:;bananawater

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Also......
Heavily planted
Hello Bailey...

You don't need any males. The females from the pet store are raised with males, so the first time a female drops her fry, you'll have your males. I have a 20 G tank that has roughly 100 Fancy Guppies in it. The Guppies will reproduce as long as the water is clear of nitrogen and there's plenty of food.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom