How many guppies can i have in a 20 gal. tank

1. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

How many guppies can i put in a 20 gal. tank? thanks

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you mean by themselves? if you have good filtration, I think you could have 12-14. You'd want to get 3 females for every male, and be prepared for tons of fry, though... they can quickly take over your tank. The fewer hiding places you have, the more the adults will eat them, which sounds cruel, but is actually a healthy source of protein.

3. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

could they be all male? i have an aqua tech 5-15 and a top fin 20 filter. also, thought about some ghost shrimp.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I've read that more than 3 male guppies in a tank together will get aggressive, so I would say you shouldn't try this. I love guppy boys too, I'd get a bunch of them too, if it would work.

I'm not positive about this, but I think shrimp multiply quickly too.

Do you like the thought of a species-only tank or really like guppies?

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Is this a regular 20 or a 20 long?
    In a 20 long you might be able to get away with more than a regular 20.

I have to respectfully disagree with Meenu. Imo, even 10 would be pushing it.
    Guppies tend to use up a lot of room. They're always moving, at least mine do. lol

6. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

its a regular 20 gal. and it doesn't have to be a species only tank, just trying to get some ideas.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

oh, mine swim around some, but close together to each other (schooling guppies?) and like to stay away from the middle of the tank... I didn't really think of them as taking up a lot of room.

I wouldn't go with a guppy-only tank anyway - I've been reading other people's posts that the guppy fry took over their tanks. lol...

8. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

ok so how does this sound? 3 male guppies, 3 male mollies, and 6 cherry barbs. i have a aqua tech 5-15 and topfin 20 filter. thanks

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think it sounds like it should work fine. :)

10. ray_sj Member Member

That sounds like too many fish for a 20g. The mollies will eventually grow to more than 4". Unless you're planning to upgrade to a larger tank, or are willing to do lots of water changes to maintain the water quality, you'll likely run into problems.

It's easier to start out with fewer fish rather than more. The tank is easier to maintain, and more forgiving if you skip a water change. I'd pick one of those groups of fish and start there, rather than with all of them.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

mollies get over 4 inches?!?! I thought they got to 3.
    What about 3 male guppies, 6 cherry barbs, and a small school of bottom fish like otos?

12. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

ok, lets try this. how about 3 male guppies, 6 cherry barbs and a few corries? does this still seem too much

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

sounds fine to me.

14. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

thanks for all the help, i ask the guy at the LFS, and i think he knows less than me.

15. Neji Member Member

j_herbert,

you can keep about 15 I suppose in a 20 gallon tank. Or maybe more? They don't grow very big and my friend has a about 50 in his 55 gallon tank which isn't too bad since the ones he has in his tank have been babies from the start and grew up in that tank :)