How Many GPH Should I Aim to Get From a Wavemaker in my 30 Gallon Tank?

• Thread starter josh.thomas02
  • Start date

josh.thomas02

I'm planning to set up a tank with dwarf rainbows and a sand substrate. What flow would be ideal for the fish but wouldn't cause too much disruption to substrate? Do you have any specific wavemakers in mind that you think I should get? I've never had a tank with a wavemaker before, so I'm also curious about how long it should be left on. Cheers for any help

Mazeus

Well Known
Maybe I'm a minimalist, but I don't think you need anything fancy like a wavemaker for a fresh water tank (although up to you). Do you have a filter already in the tank, does it add any flow? I have a Fluval U4 in my 55g and it has tons of flow. If you are using a sponge filter then maybe. Sorry for not fully answering your question, I just think sometimes we get sucked into buying things we don't need (I've done it!).

josh.thomas02

Mazeus said:
Maybe I'm a minimalist, but I don't think you need anything fancy like a wavemaker for a fresh water tank (although up to you). Do you have a filter already in the tank, does it add any flow? I have a Fluval U4 in my 55g and it has tons of flow. If you are using a sponge filter then maybe. Sorry for not fully answering your question, I just think sometimes we get sucked into buying things we don't need (I've done it!).
The tank hasn't even been built yet, but filtration will be a sponge filter. I'd like a wavemaker for my riffle shrimp and desert gobies, and enjoy how it will likely make the valisneria flow.

Top Bottom