How Many Goldfish?

1. tintin1982

tintin1982 Valued Member Member

Hello :)

I'm currently cycling my new 210 Gallon fish tank and would be housing fancy Goldfish in it. I would like to know how many Goldfish I can stock in the tank?

Here are a few details about the tank:

Dimensions: 84" (L) X 24" (H) X 24" (W)
    Tank Material: Glass (12mm)
    Filtration: 2 X SunSun 304A + 1 X SunSun 302 (Will also be adding an Eheim 2217 soon) + XY-380 Sponge Filters X 4.
    Water Change: 40% Weekly.
    For water movement inside the tank I'm currently using a Sobo WP-2550 powerhead (rated @ 2,800 l/hr)
    Water Temperature: 28C (Ambient)
    This will be a bare-bottom tank.

This is a photograph of the tank itself:

https://s3.postimg.org/fb3p98on7/DSCF5595.jpg

Kindly advice.

Regards,
    tintin1982

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

In a 210 gallon, 12-13 Fancy goldfish would be good IMO.

Btw it's going to look stunning , I currently have 5 Fancy Goldfish, Beautiful fish with lots of personality.

Good luck!!

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

If your talking common gold fish i say 0. If these are fan tail gold fish around 17 max with good filtration.

4. JesseMoreira06

The OP stated Fancy goldfish but 17 Fancy Goldfish in a 210 gallon aquarium?? Orandas get 8-9"...IMO that's over stocking even with amazing filtration.

I wouldn't do more then 12-13 Fancy Goldfish in a 210g , and thats only giving each goldfish 16g of water to themself.

5. Dave125g

Sorry I missed the fancy part. 17 would be max,IMO, but its never a good idea to max your tanks stock. Rule of thumb on these guys is 30 gallons for 1, 10 additional gallons for each additional.

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

THE DREAM!

15-18 would be very good.

7. OP
    OP
    tintin1982

Thank-you so much for the replies, really appreciate it! :)

Having read the input I decided that I will be stocking the tank with 12-14 fishes. No more.

This is the filtration that I have:

2 X SunSun 304A Canister

1 X SunSun 302 Canister

1 X Eheim 2217 Canister (will be receiving it soon)

4 X XY380 Sponge Filters

1 X SunSun 603B (I know this only adds little to the overall filtration of the entire water volume but it's currently housing cycled media and I have it coupled with an overhead sump box with bio-balls. Basically the water from the canister empties into the sump box filled with the bio-balls and then finally from that sump box returns to the tank).

1 X Sobo Powerhead with another overhead sump box filled with Seachem Matrix.

(The canisters will be filled with ceramic rings, filter sponge and scrubbies).

8. Dave125g

Wow that's alot of filters. What's the total GPH on all of them?

9. OP
    OP
    tintin1982

Hi Dave,

These are the filter details:

2X SunSun 304A @ 423 Gallons/Hr (each)

1 X SunSun 302 Canister @ 264 Gallons Per Hour

1 X SunSun 603B @ 106 Gallons Per Hour

1 X Sobo Powerhead with another overhead sump box filled with Seachem Matrix: The Powerhead is rated @ 740 Gallons Per Hour.

4 X XY380 Sponge Filters - These are the largest sponge filters I could find. They are 2 Hagen Marina 200 Air Pumps.

This also brings me to my next question... Do I need to fit the Eheim 2217 in the tank or should I refrain from doing so? With the above filtration I'm thinking I should be ok without immediately connecting the 2217?

10. JesseMoreira06

with canister filters you'll want to shoot for atleast 1150gal/h of filtration for your 210g. The rule of thumb is 5-6× the amount of gallons but with Goldfish being that they have a big bio-load I would aim for slightly higher.

11. Dave125g

I'm not familiar with that kind of filter but I like the GPH its around 1500 total + the sponge filters.

12. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I just want to see the tank filled!

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say 12-5 fancies is fine in this size tank.