How Many Gold Tetras In A 20g Long?

Nikki2577

I have 3 gold tetras, I am wanting to move them to my 20 gallon long. How many should I add? They will be the only fish in the tank. I may get a bristnose pleco for the tank but not sure yet.

AJE

I would add 7 more

Katie Allibone

Well gold tetras should be in groups of 5 or more so if I was you I would get at least 5 or 6 how many gallon are they in now?

LunaSky

I have 16 rummy nose tetras in a 20 gallon average 24” tank and it’s beautiful. I would assume these tetras get about the same size, maybe a bit larger? You could maybe add 16 total? Less then that if you add a bristle nose.

I think you should add three more and just keep adding three more until you see what you find is not over crowding. Maybe this is terrible advice but I’m hoping you get what I’m saying. Filter capacity is also a big deal. The bigger the filter the more media the better bacteria you have growing to sustain a certain amount of fish. Just don’t go crazy.

Katie Allibone

LunaSky said:
I have 16 rummy nose tetras in a 20 gallon average 24” tank and it’s beautiful. I would assume these tetras get about the same size, maybe a bit larger? You could maybe add 16 total? Less then that if you add a bristle nose.

I think you should add three more and just keep adding three more until you see what you find is not over crowding. Maybe this is terrible advice but I’m hoping you get what I’m saying. Filter capacity is also a big deal. The bigger the filter the more media the better bacteria you have growing to sustain a certain amount of fish. Just don’t go crazy.
I totally agree

Nikki2577

Katie Allibone said:
Well gold tetras should be in groups of 5 or more so if I was you I would get at least 5 or 6 how many gallon are they in now?
In a 29 gallon community tank. I am rehoming the other fish in that tank and putting up the 20 gallon long.

Nikki2577

LunaSky said:

I will have an aquaclear 70 on the 20g. I am looking to add as many as I can without crowding. I do know what you are saying but I think I would like to try to get them all at once and qt them for a month. I get weirded out by buying new fish as it is with all the illnesses so I want to do it in one swoop of possible. What do you think? The 3 I have are wild caught I am hoping that doesn’t make any difference. They get about an inch maybe. They are shorter than a guppy that’s for sure.

Nikki2577

AJE

Sure, but if you were to do a species tank you could do more
Nikki2577 said:
So 10 total is a good number.

Nikki2577

AJE said:
Sure, but if you were to do a species tank you could do more
If I skip the pleco and just go with the tetras what are you thinking for a number? These are the only tetras I have ever had so I really have no clue about them except what I have read. I just know after I lost the 2 the 3 left are very skiddish and I notice the smallest one kind of hangs out alone but the other 2 are always together. I guess I don’t understand why they excluded the little one. I have had them for probably a year or so and I lost one right off and then the last one about 4 months ago.

goldface

17-20 easily.

AJE

The most I would do in a 20 is 15 or 16
Nikki2577 said:
If I skip the pleco and just go with the tetras what are you thinking for a number? These are the only tetras I have ever had so I really have no clue about them except what I have read. I just know after I lost the 2 the 3 left are very skiddish and I notice the smallest one kind of hangs out alone but the other 2 are always together. I guess I don’t understand why they excluded the little one. I have had them for probably a year or so and I lost one right off and then the last one about 4 months ago.

Nikki2577

Ok thank you everyone for your help!

LunaSky

Nikki2577 said:
I will have an aquaclear 70 on the 20g. I am looking to add as many as I can without crowding. I do know what you are saying but I think I would like to try to get them all at once and qt them for a month. I get weirded out by buying new fish as it is with all the illnesses so I want to do it in one swoop of possible. What do you think? The 3 I have are wild caught I am hoping that doesn’t make any difference. They get about an inch maybe. They are shorter than a guppy that’s for sure.
The issue with adding more then 6 at a time is you risk and ammonia spike and can be risky. Your bioload is set up for 3 tetras and would be ready to take on 10+ more all at once. You can do this be you definitely risk losing fish.

goldface

I prefer adding all at once. Skip a day or two of feeding or feeding sparingly once a day for a week, and it should be fine.

Nikki2577

LunaSky said:
The issue with adding more then 6 at a time is you risk and ammonia spike and can be risky. Your bioload is set up for 3 tetras and would be ready to take on 10+ more all at once. You can do this be you definitely risk losing fish.
No it’s set up for a community tank with 3 tetras a few guppies one platy, a golden nugget pleco and some coys. So I am pretty sure it can handle 10 to 15 tetras right?

Nikki2577

Also if I have a school of these tetras do I need a lot of plants? They have always had plants but when I moved these fish to the 29 gallon from another tank I pretty much killed my amazon swords and they aren’t going to come back. Lol what a mess.

Nikki2577

scarface said:
I prefer adding all at once. Skip a day or two of feeding or feeding sparingly once a day for a week, and it should be fine.
Thank you. I am almost certain my filter can handle them. It has been running for probably 3 years on different tanks so all media is well seeded.

goldface

Nikki2577 said:
Thank you. I am almost certain my filter can handle them. It has been running for probably 3 years on different tanks so all media is well seeded.
No problem. One thing I do suggest is to buy a few more than you're planning.

Nikki2577

scarface said:
No problem. One thing I do suggest is to buy a few more than you're planning.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. I hear they are sensitive, the 3 I have don’t seem to be but maybe they are different. I just assume I will lose some in qt because of all the stress and any illness they may have.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom