How many German Blue Rams for a 40 breeder?

EmmaH

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 40g tank that I am planning on using for German Blue Rams. This is my first time with rams of any kind. I was aiming for a pairing that would hopefully spawn down the road. Would it be best to leave it at 1 pair in the tank? Or could I feasibly keep 2 pairs in there. I've seen mixed things about keeping multiple pairs in a small tank. Would I need to move them to a smaller tank for the spawning and fry raising, or would they stick to their territories inside the 40g?

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmmaH said:
I have a 40g tank that I am planning on using for German Blue Rams. This is my first time with rams of any kind. I was aiming for a pairing that would hopefully spawn down the road. Would it be best to leave it at 1 pair in the tank? Or could I feasibly keep 2 pairs in there. I've seen mixed things about keeping multiple pairs in a small tank. Would I need to move them to a smaller tank for the spawning and fry raising, or would they stick to their territories inside the 40g?
I feel like you could get away with 2 if its heavily planted and lots of decor like rock and driftwood

OP
EmmaH

EmmaH

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DollyDolly said:
I feel like you could get away with 2 if its heavily planted and lots of decor like rock and driftwood
Would I still need to move them to a smaller tank for breeding? Or would I be able to get leave them in the 40 together?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EmmaH said:
Would I still need to move them to a smaller tank for breeding? Or would I be able to get leave them in the 40 together?
I have seen mixed opinions on if you could keep multiple pairs in that tank size as well. I think the answer is yes with a but. Because it will be dependent on the individual rams and how the pairs will tolerate each other. But with right tank setup you could give yourself a good shot.

I think if your goal was for them to breed and have sucessful spawns it would be easiest to only have to worry about a single pair. They should spawn in the 40 just fine but if you want to be able to raise any fry you will have you beat shot moving the eggs or wrigglers to another tank to raise up.

OP
EmmaH

EmmaH

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cody said:
I have seen mixed opinions on if you could keep multiple pairs in that tank size as well. I think the answer is yes with a but. Because it will be dependent on the individual rams and how the pairs will tolerate each other. But with right tank setup you could give yourself a good shot.

I think if your goal was for them to breed and have sucessful spawns it would be easiest to only have to worry about a single pair. They should spawn in the 40 just fine but if you want to be able to raise any fry you will have you beat shot moving the eggs or wrigglers to another tank to raise up.
I was hoping to let the parents raise the fry. I know it sometimes takes them a few tries before they get the idea.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom