How many Gallons you think this tank is? & how long to cycle it?

?

How many gallons do you think this tank is?

1. 25 Gallon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 30 Gallon

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 35 Gallon

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. 40 Gallon?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blanco Member Member

I was driving a few house past mine when I spotted this tank for sale in someones yard.
    & it came with lots of food & chems, No stand or pumps or filters or anything.

But here are some pics of the tank & I'm thinking about 35 Gallons & think maybe 2 weeks cycling to start?
    Maybe get some feeder fish to help it along?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a few decorations from two of my other tanks & about 3 gallons of water & put it all in there.
    [​IMG]
    & then stuck some spare filter I had laying around & stuck it in there with no filtration in it just to keep the water circulating..

So know I'll have to start looking around for pumps & filters etc..

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Theres a gallon calculator at the bottom of the page that you can put your measurements into and it will calculate the volume of the tank.

I'm not at my computer right now, but it looks like either a 20 or a 29 gallon to me.

3. Blanco Member Member

Never noticed the calculator before.
    But I notice it says 32.73 & then says US 27.26 yet it says US 1st then UK 2nd?

What is a bigger gallon the US or UK?

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I think us is bigger, but I don't know.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

US is the first volume shown. UK is the second. So, that means it's 32.73 gallons US or 27.26 gallons UK.

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Thats a 30 gallon.

7. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

8. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I just put the measurements in and I got 34.29 US gallons. So I guess its a 35 gallon.

9. cameronpalte Member Member

I think its 29 gallons. I got this by getting the dimensions of my 55 gallon and dividing it by 55 to get the cubic inches of 1 gallon of water. Than I multiplied the dimensions of your tank and divided it by what I got for the cubic inches in a gallon of water, to come up with that. That being said, I couldn't completely see the height of your tank so that's an estimate.

10. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I think you are probably right. 29g

11. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

12. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That doesn't look like 22.75 in the photo to me it looks like 22. A 35gal

13. bowen747x Member Member

just a guess but based on the numbers and the pics i would say somewhere around 32-35 gallons? i clicked on 30 in your poll but i voted too quickly, its definitely over 30 and i think it is under 35 but not sure...

a 30" x 12" x 18 size tank = 29 gallons and yours is about 3 inches taller?

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

According to you Aquarium Info you are not fully aware of the nitrogen cycle. Please take the time to read up on it, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

If you are not going to use SafeStart to cycle the tank, it is prefered to cycle fishless. If you use SafeStart you fill the tank with water dechlorinated with a water conditioner that does not detox ammonia (Tetra recommends Tetra AquaSafe...big surprise there!). Then wait 24 hours add some fish and the entire bottle of SafeStart. SafeStart comes in two sizes, one for 30 gallons max and one for 70 gallons, since you tank is 37 you need to use the big bottle. Then do nothing but feed your fish for 14 days (don't do any water changes, add chemicals etc). On day 14 test your water and you should be cycled.

Cycling with fish takes longer, usually around six weeks. And since high ammonia amd nitrite levels will cause the fish to suffer and severly shorten their lives at best, and kill them at worst, you need to do daily 50% water changes with a ammonia detoxing water conditioner such as Prime until the tank is fully cycled.

Or you could cycle fishless by adding an ammonia source to the tank to simulate fish being in there. You can add drops of pure ammonia (i.e. ammonia and water solution, with no perfumes, detergents, surficants etc), or you can put in a peice of shrimp which will release ammonia as it decays or you could put fishfood in the tank which will also release ammonia as it decays. The advantage to cycling fishless is that you do not need to do any water changes to keep the fish safe.

15. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I did the same and came up with 35 (34.29) gallons. Cycling as stated can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 2 months.

16. Blanco Member Member

What is this I got with my new tank?

[​IMG]

17. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a packet of some Tetra product, to me. There's pretty much absolutely no way to know what is in a relatively unmarked package like that...unless you're Superman and have x-ray vision.

18. TmacD Member Member

I'd toss it...there's no way to know what it is.

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The discrepancies about volume are a matter of whether you measure the outside or the inside of the tank. The tank is a "37" - it's a standard size.

UK gallons are larger than american gallons. They are based on the volume of 10 lbs of water.

20. TmacD Member Member

Doing some research online I confirmed that Tetra did make a tank that was marketed as a 35gal tank. Obviously, from your measurements we know it's a little short of 35, but that's what the tank is, a Tetra 35g.