how many gallons for a trout? Question 

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i am a avid fisherman and how many gallon pond would i need to house one? i understand they need cool water and their diet all that like 1000 gallon yard pond with some kind of cooling device? just being curious up late at night blah blah blah

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Gmen. I don't know that I would try to house trout unless there is a way for it to "always" have fresh running water going into the pond. Too, chillers can be and are very expensive if bought new. I'm sure you'll get some more responses. Have a good day today!
Ken

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah would probably have to be a concrete slab of some sort

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO those are one of those type of fish that belong in the natural habitat not a tank/pond

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well yeah even though most are hatchery raised and not to metion the streams that run deadly low on the summers they stock them in was just a question on peoples ideas on how to house them i dont have the space for it wasnt planning on it just curious

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
we have a hatchery near us that does that ..they also have one of those buggle gum machines where you purchase fish food for them LOL ...then they release them into this huge pond where ppl pay to fish...its almost a freakish place to me and it reminds me of those kind of hunting places for big game that dont stand a chance either... maybe a 1000g pond to rescue some of those hatchery fish would be cool then release in a big huge lake? LOL thats what id love to do but again, cant save the world can we

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah and then all those who catch them as soon as released lol like shooting them in a bucket my buddie has a pond where we stocked probably a few hundred of the years and they are all still alive and growing some are getting huge and smart will follow your bait and turn from it now lol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hahaha ...I actually have spent a few hours buying that food and feeding the pond hoping the fish will be full and not go for the hook with bait...course they dont particularly care for me doing that LOL

russ757

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry to burst your bubble gmen but you would have to have a very long pond with a current in some spots and a varying depth to hold trout as a fellow fisjerman i feel your craving for a pond of game fish

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shawnie said:
they release them into this huge pond where ppl pay to fish...its almost a freakish place to me and it reminds me of those kind of hunting places for big game that dont stand a chance either
Oh man.....we took the kids to a place like that when they were little. We had no idea it was going to be like that. Seriously, they really didn't need poles, they could have reached in and grabbed them.

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hmm so if i hit the lotto ill build a lazy river lol the pond we have them in is spring fed so always cold water no weeds and nice and deep its perfect for them

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've mentioned that I live on a creek bank. When I see someone fishing in their boat and I'm on my screened porch I yell "I've already fed those fish so you aren't going to catch anything". teehee Then my dogs run to the dock and bark like crazy and the people fishing move along. Just thought I'd share that information (if you win the lottery gmen...don't forget your Fish Lore buddies :jawdrop: Ken

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aquarist48 said:
I've mentioned that I live on a creek bank. When I see someone fishing in their boat and I'm on my screened porch I yell "I've already fed those fish so you aren't going to catch anything". teehee Then my dogs run to the dock and bark like crazy and the people fishing move along. Just though I'd share that information (if you win the lottery gmen...don't forget your Fish Lore buddies :jawdrop: Ken
That's funny!!. . I'm sure they don't think so but I do.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquarist48 said:
I've mentioned that I live on a creek bank. When I see someone fishing in their boat and I'm on my screened porch I yell "I've already fed those fish so you aren't going to catch anything". teehee Then my dogs run to the dock and bark like crazy and the people fishing move along. Just though I'd share that information (if you win the lottery gmen...don't forget your Fish Lore buddies :jawdrop: Ken
:gathering:good man and doggies!!!:whistling:

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For a trout you wouldn't need a chiller, but an unheated tank, HUGE unheated tank with a heavy heavy river flow through it. (lots of powerheads)
I say they don't need a chiller because the rivers around here are about 70 degrees right now and they are loaded with trout. A huge tank (300+ gallons) would be a cold tank.

IMO I wouldn't even think about keeping trout in an aquarium.

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Trout are schooling fish so would would have to keep more than one!

I have seen aquariums with trout in but most are unhealthy definitely not something you would want to eat!

I don't understand why people want to fish for hatchery fish, they are tasteless compared to wild caught.

As for catching the hatchery fish and releasing them into the wild i would have to say thats as bad as releasing other aquarium fish into the wild! Nature has the amount of fish needed any more and it would throw off the balance of things.

Anna

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well they stock many thousands of fish in the streams on nj they all are stocked not many natives and the big ones like space they tend to find their own space on the stream i prefer to fly fish and release them anyway but from time to time i eat them ive seen a 4 pounder in a huge tank in a bait store by me and you could hand feed him he looked great but like i said it was a huge huge tank i could swim in it lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom