How Many Fry Can An Electric Blue Hold At One Time? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bigred109, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Bigred109

Bigred109 New Member Member

Hi I have electric blue african cichlid which has held once previously and she ate or spat the eggs early.

6 months later she was holding again so i decided to strip her at 7 days and tumble the eggs.

I got 50 eggs from her is this normal?

How many can they have at one time?

Is it bad if i keep a few femalea and attempt to breed them with their father? Can this be done?

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Number of eggs depends on the size and age of the female. I've got up to 60 fry from a single African and she is just 3.5in long. Are you referring to the blue ahli or another species? Ahlis have very large mouths and they get around 6in long, so a mature female could easily produce 50 eggs.

Breeding fish back to the parents and even to siblings is a fairly common practice. It helps improve certain characteristics that the breeder deems desirable. The only problem is there is a higher chance of genetic defects. I've breed sibling Africans and one female in particular kept producing a handful of fry with either tail or spine deformities. She has since been retired and her deformed fry were culled. I wouldn't breed them past a couple generation.

Word of advice, I find it best to wait till at least 10 days before stripping a female. This is simply to ensure that the eggs are indeed fertile and not duds. It take about a week for a holding female to either spit or consume a batch of infertile eggs. Every now and the I get a female who refuses to spawn with a male so she hold the infertile eggs regardless. At day 10 the eggs are already hatched and you will be able to ensure that all eggs/fry in the tumbler are viable. It is a pain in the butt having to remove infertile eggs from a tumbler. They need to be removed as soon as possible to prevent the live eggs/fry from being contaminated and dying due to fungus.

3. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

Every female I've ever had, took a few times to get the hang of it. Once they did, they did a far better job than I ever could. I personally could never cull anything, I also don't intentionally breed mine to sell, so quantity that survive isn't important to me. For this reason I allow nature to do its thing in my tanks and over time have noticed that, my Ahli female hold larger amounts and will spawn with my Male for the first few weeks (I'd have to imagine it's a way of them making sure that all her eggs are fertilized) she holds much longer, learns to eat and none of my holding females have ever become emaciated, they will also hold no matter what, which includes in my experience, a parasite infestation, moved to a new tank, new fish introduction, they are tough broads lol. All in all the handful that do survive are some tough, healthy fry and nature culls for me.
    Again I do not breed to sell, which is a whole other ball game. If that's your goal then obviously stripping ect.. is the way to go. Good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    Bigred109

Thanks for your reply.

Im not intending to become a huge home breeder. I will keep a few females and maybe 1 male amd sell or swap the rest.

I stripped her because she swallowed the last batch. She is 10 cm long and all fry have survived so far.

Im not sure of the breed other then it has a white stripe on top of its head and a red small anal fin. Ive attached a picture.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

5. edevingo

I'll be interested to see if anyone chimes in, definitely have me stumped. I've never seen a female besides a Mbuna that colorful. Good luck! Do you know who the dad is?

6. OP
    OP
    Bigred109

Sorry that is the dad. . The mum is a grey colour

7. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

Really stupid newby question from somebody who has never even seen a ciclhid in person, but I read they put fry in their mouths, the moms, how do they get in there? How do you know she is carrying them? How long do they carry for? Does she eat when she is carrying and how does she not swallow the fry if she does eat? And when I read they are stripped, does that mean forcefully opening the fish's mouth to get the fry out? How is that done without hurting the fish? I guess I will google a bit, was just curious.

8. OP
    OP
    Bigred109

U tube how to strip a cichlid.

Its easy as and doesnt hurt them st all.

She lays them on the ground the male fertilises them and then she holds them in her mouth for 21 days.

Sometime s they can eat them or spit them out and they die or get eaten by other fish.

9. edevingo

No problem, I was like "wow that I've never seen" Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice