1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

How Many For A School? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Barbs' started by 15324bbb, Jun 25, 2019.

1. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

Recently I got a 29 gallon tank Sunday for my Barbs and neons, and I want to know what would be the suitable number of the fishes in general for a tank this size and the number of Barbs that wouldn't be too much of a number to handle. If you need any more information ask.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What kind of barbs? Usually 6 is the minimum for a school

3. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Just wanted to pass along this link to  
    You can plug in your tank size, filtration and fish and at the bottom, it will give you a ballpark stocking percentage.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I would not add any more fish to your tank until you rehome the 7 inch common pleco. You have enough of a bioload as it is.

Here is what   says about your 29 gallon with ONLY the common pleco and nothing else:

"Recommended water change schedule: 87% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 63% per week)
    Your aquarium stocking level is 131%"

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

Tiger barbs.

I know I need to re-home the pleco. I knew I was going to re-home him before I could get anymore fish. I just needed to know the max number of fish for a 29 gallon, and I know won't max out the number. I know what things not to do until I do the things I need to do. I was thinking of just having all neon tetras in that tank. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

That would be really nice actually, you could probably do at least 20

7. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

Yes and with the contrast between blue and green decor.

8. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You could do a mix of normal, green, and black neons.

9. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

To be honest...It doesn't look like you really do plan to rehome the pleco. So if we are going to talk décor....you really need to get driftwood and also build a cave or two for the guy so he can actually hide and be comfortable. You also need to buy food for him rather than having him live off of algae and scraps.

I will stop pushing you about getting rid of the pleco, but at the very least...please take some time to research his needs and give him the best environment you can despite the small tank size.

MOVING ON!!! As for adding fish AFTER rehoming the pleco, I personally find one school of fish in a 29 gallon to be most appropriate. People say the minimum for schooling fish is 6. I think that is silly. They school in the hundreds in the wild. So in my opinion. Keeping two schools of 6 fish, is putting the fishkeeper's desire for variety above the best interest of the fish.

With that being said, I suggest a large school of neons if that is what you prefer, rather than two small schools of different fish. In a 29g, I'd say as many as 20 neons if they are the only middle swimmers.

10. FerretladyValued MemberMember

I think you need to just stop & figure out what is going wrong with your tank consistently before you go putting MORE fish in there. You have had constant ongoing issues with one illness after another after another for months now, one batch of fish dies, you just go get more. You've been taking advice from some "6-year-fish-expert" who frankly, is full of horse-puckey & doesn't know what they're talking about...

Your pleco DOES need to be FED more than once a month!!! I don't give a flying flip what your "expert" says -- you need to FEED that poor fish! He does NOT live off of his own poop & the other fishs' poop, like your so-called "expert" claims he does! I'm sorry, but that is flat-out downright abusive and cruel & it just boils my blood. Just because he is still ALIVE, does not mean that you're not mistreating him by not feeding him. You shouldn't even have a common pleco in your tank at all, but you've known that for many months now....

Your cories did not die from "too much circulation" because you put an air pump that said it was suitable for a 10-30 gallon tank in your 10-gallon tank. The earlier red-eye tetras or barbs or rasboras or ?? didn't die because you moved your decor around in your tank (I don't recall which fish you said died because of that, there are too many deaths/illnesses to keep track of at this point...) I guess that was your "6-year-expert" again, who told you that rearranging your decorations would kill your fish?? When an "expert" tells you not to feed a fish for an entire month, that it will live off of eating it's own poop, and you *believe* that... I shudder to think what else this "expert" has told you, that you have believed & based your actions on....

But sure - go right ahead & get the "maximum number" of fish you can put into your tank without changing how you do things - and a couple weeks from now, we'll probably see you posting about some disease, or why did one of my fish die, or whatever....

11. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

Thank you I'll try to keep the pleco comfortable until I re-homed him sorry I didn't do it sooner. Would corydoras be more convenient for the tank size? If so how many? I don't plan on getting more fish until these get re-home or pass on. But it's good to have a plan in mind.

Okay..here are some explainations and answers to these questions for you. First I USED to get my fish at Walmart that explains why there WERE most of these illness and infections. second I stooped listening to that "Expert" long ago, I feed my pleco lots of veggies and alge wafers and any other suggestions that people give me, almost every day I feed him. Third I wasn't Going to get anymore fish until these live out there lives please I've learned my lesson on buying fish one after another. And your misunderstanding the maximum fish range I wanted to know the limit so I can stay WAY under the limit. At least I know I can't and won't be able to handle a common pleco and understanding I WILL have to re-home him one way or another. Just cut some slack till then and stop choking me with the slack you have. Don't fanaticise what you think I have done to that pleco, a few days after he gave that "advice" I double checked on the internet of how much a pleco should have and started feeding him like I am now. I'm no expert but I will appreciate the experts not to think LITTLE of starters. We all one way or another have done stupid things in the aquarium hobby. Most of them probably happened when we were starting the hobby. Just when you're giving me pointers on the fish hobby try to keep the hot sauce out of it.

12. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

If you want to do a super light stock, I would pick your favorite type of neon then do a school of ten

13. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

Okie, I just don't want to make the same mistakes and don't want to much or too little of a school. thanks!

14. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sure thing, take a look at this to get an idea of what you want:   I personally like black neons the most. Also I have no idea why they used a picture of such a deformed fish for the longfin tetra (2nd one) they should not look that bent at all. This is the most curve you should accept in them IMO  : If its back or tail is more bent than that picture, walk away.

15. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Pass on? You do realize a common pleco can live 10-15 years in captivity when given proper care? Even more than that in the wild.

So...if you dont rehome him....you're not getting any more fish until a few years after you are out of college. And you haven't even hit high school yet. :)

Just giving you a little perspective.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  16. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Personally I don't like tiger barbs in anything smaller than like a 55g, they are just nippy little things and the extra space is extremely helpful. So here's what I'd do in the mean time, assuming you're keeping both tanks running.

10g - Leave the neons in here for now. Get a school of about 6. Its a little cramped in terms of space but I think they'll be better off away from the tiger barbs

29g - 8-10 tiger barbs then maybe a school of danios (NOT LONGFIN) and maybe a platy or 2. The bigger the group of tigers the less aggressive they generally are. Neons are just a super docile fish that I personally wouldn't put them with the tigers long term especially since they'd be competing for the same tank space.

I'd rehome the pleco to the LFS, you could always consider one of the varieties that stay smaller down the road but for now I'd stay without any algae eaters :) I think cories wouldn't be a good choice for the tiger barbs, they may be okay in a bigger tank but I tigers can just be so temperamental in smaller tanks I don't think it is worth the risk.

If you only plan on 1 tank it may be a good idea to reconsider the fish you have. Maybe up the school of neons and trade in the tiger barbs for cherry barbs or something much more peaceful.

17. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

I think the true neons would be best pick. and poor fish was he in a torture chamber?

Hahaha I know lol the pass on part was for the tiger barbs loo.it would be funny to show your friends (I have no friends) a 130 gallon tank with a 16 inch pleco and see the startled look on there face hehahe. But 15 years? So I would be umm 29 by the time he "passes on lol" but I will re-home him as quick as possible.

yeah I think I'll re-home the tigers and the pleco. I'll probably have a community tank but with different kind of tetras. I agree with what your saying about how I should just re-home I'm not equipped or experienced enough to keep him.

18. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

yes, as long as the pleco is being cared for properly, it absolutely can live that long. Which is my point exactly. If you want to enjoy a fish tank as a teenager at home, you need to rehome that pleco. Otherwise you are stuck with him until you are married with children in your own home!! haha (assuming you actually give him proper care)

It shouldn't be that hard to rehome him. You should immediately contact a local fish store or pet store that carries fish. (not a chain like petsmart or petco) and see if they can take him for you. Many will. You can also list him for "free to a good home" on craigslist and he might be swooped up right away. Or local facebook fish groups. I see it all the time. Common plecos needing rehoming. And more often than not, they are swooped up quick. People with huge tanks don't want to buy a tiny common pleco at the store. So they need to find bigger ones from people like you who should have never gotten one in the first place. haha

Get moving girl! The sooner you do, the sooner you can start really enjoying your new 29 gallon tank. (and the sooner you get me off your back hahaha)

19. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

I agree with e_watson09... I wouldn't mix Tiger Barbs with gentle Neons. You need to take the time to research the compatibility of your fish for temperament, temperature, and general environment if you want them to survive and give you enjoyment! Neons are sensitive, make sure your new tank is truly cycled ok? :happy:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  20. 15324bbbValued MemberMember

the good thing is that all the local (30 mins away from everything both ways) Walmarts aren't selling fish anymore and instead put more fish care products so no more sick fish for me and no more abused fish from Walmart. Up oh the barbs are sparing each other lol. I agree with all you said in this quote.

Ok! Last time I didn't get safe start that put bacteria in to cycle my tank aaaaaannnd......"NEW POST: why are my fish dying and why is it clouding!?? New message from future you: the cloudyness is from bacteria blooming and your fish are dying because of the ammonia spikes during the cycle which is like poison to them. New message from dumb past me: That doesn't fix my problem....." YEP.

Here are the neons I have now the Barb kept trying to photo bomb the pick...you can see his tail in the middle right lol. 1561567602764177706290.jpg

Sometimes the barbs and the neons school together lol 1561567871669-387309865.jpg