How Many Fish? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ARQ, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ARQNew MemberMember

I am looking to start a neon tetra tank with about 10 tetras and i was thinking of adding about 2 mystery snails, how would they be in a tank together? I currently have my mystery snails in two separate tanks with my two Betta fish but thinking of putting them with the tetras as i researched and heard of some instances where Bettas mistake the snails antennas for worms.

2. Laxin10Valued MemberMember

You can put the mystery snails with the neons no problem, but that isn't really the concern.

I know it will sound crazy because they are such little fish, but neons/cardinals love their space and really need a longer tank than what a 10 has to offer. If you can find the space and the funds to do it (it isn't too much more if you buy the equipment separately) a 20 gallon long is your best option. You could even add a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami in addition to the snails and the neons/cardinals.

3. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

The snails and neon should be fine.

4. ARQNew MemberMember

I will keep that in mind next time i go tank shopping, and start my tetra tank. Thank you!

5. trainandfishguyValued MemberMember

20 gallon tanks are easy to come by at Petco, especially during their $1 per gallon sale. You would be amazed at the behavior of your fish once they are put in a bigger aquarium. The same fish that were overcrowded in my ten gallon are thriving in my 26 long. They, school, swim and play all day.

6. KamaileValued MemberMember

I actually even have a 20 long with a lone male betta in it, and he seems to be my happiest betta BY FAR...I would always advise getting too big of a tank rather than a tank on the verge of being too small if you want to do best by the fish.

7. Colt47New MemberMember

i did the same mistake i except i had 5 cherry barbs and 5 neons. 3 of the Neons died from a mouth fungus in the first 3 months. i moved them to a 20 gallon and replaced them with a few cardinals (Petcentral was Sold out of Neons) and the barbs began to breed (Actually saw one the males Rub up on the Female and 4 eggs came out. and successfully raised 2 Cherry barb fry) and Neon and Cardinals Swam around with the Barbs and had no issues with illnesses

8. ARQNew MemberMember

A friend told me about that sale, i think it is actually taking place at the moment in my area. I will have to go and check it out, if i do get a 20 gallon tank would 10 tetras be too much to consider?

9. Colt47New MemberMember

That Depends on What kind of Tetra you want. If your thinking Neons and Cardinals you can have 12 of them. Bleeding Heart and Rummy nose Tatras you can have 6 maybe 7

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice