How many fish once it's cycled?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Scanlon, Apr 3, 2010.

1. S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to know how many fish to add once my tank has cycled, it's 55gal. I want community tank with tetras, corys, gbr's, guppies and platys. Does it mattter which I introduce first? Is it ok to add different species at the same time?

Thanks

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I would go with one species at a time. But remember that most of the fish you listed like to be in groups of at least 5, and in a 55gal 5 tetras wont look like much more like 10-15 would be a good schooling to make the tank look alive. but adding them in in sets is best to allow the bacteria to catch up to the new bioload.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Livebearers first (1m:3f), then tetras, then corys, then GBRs last.

4. OP
    OP
    S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Thanks

Thanks Furallicah and Jaysee for you speedy replies, hopefully getting my first fish monday, can't wait.

5. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Hi Scanlon,

I am not sure if I have all of the information correct, but according to the Aquarium Info on your profile, the start date for you aquarium is March 31, 2010. If this is correct, I don't think it is possible that your tank could finish its cycle this week. The cycle is usually a four to six week process.

Once again, I am not sure that we have all the info here, but I would like to save both your fish and you from stress if possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice