How many fish in a tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mar, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MarNew MemberMember

I'm trying to get advice on how many fish I can keep in my 10 gallon fresh water tank. I have 2 Platys (1 1/2 in each), 1 garamy (2 1/2 in.) and a Tetra (forgot type 1 1/4 in). I have a bubbler and change the water frequently. Would I be able to add 3 Pricilla Tetras?

Any advice would be apprieciated.

Mar

2. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Hi Mar,

I think adding the tetras would put you right up there on the cusp of a fully loaded tank. A general rule that Ive heard is one inch of fish for every 12 square inches of surface area in your tank. To get this multiply the length of your tank (in inches) by the width. Then divide this number by 12. That final number is a ballpark of how many inches of fish you can have. This is only a general guideline though. Remember at ten gallons your water parameters can be very unstable. I guess I personally wouldnt add the new fish but see what other people think.

3. Janmitch22Valued MemberMember

Yeah, rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon of water. But also consider the waste load of your fish; some are heavy poopers, some aren't. I don't think any of yours are. I agree with ebb, you'll be right at (or maybe a little over) full with three tetras

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

I think I would pass on adding any more fish. As indicated, a 10 gallon can become quite unstable very quickly because you have only a small amount of water to work with. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.

Is your tank cycled? If not, then please read these beginners articles to help you out. Understanding the nitrogen cycle is essential to the hobby and keeping your fish alive.

If you wanted more fish, my suggestion to you would be to get at least a 20 gallon tank (long tanks are better than high tanks), and use the 10 gallon for a hospital/quarantine tank. You know you want to, so what are you waiting for? ;D

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

What is the one tetra you have in there? Tetras are shoaling (schooling) fish and are not happy if not kept in a shoal of at least 6 fish. Since there is not room for a whole shoal, I would take back the single tetra and then maybe you could get another Platy. The tetra will be too lonely on his own. :'(

6. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have a ten gallon tank, and I have 4 cory's, 2 mollies, 2 guppies, and one baby platy. I don't have much trouble with the water. But then I check and change it at least once a week. I plan on getting a bigger tank, (this was my first), and adding even more small fish.

7. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I have heard many times that for every gallon you have, you can have one inch of fish, so I think that is a good law to go by.

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Still depends on the mass of your fish. the Gourami will have more body mass than the platys so it will need more water space allowed for it. the gouramis can also be a little aggressive and will eat any platy fry you have. i'm inclined to think your tank is full.
    Carol

9. MarNew MemberMember

I think my tetra is a serpae tetra. Do you think it would be ok to get 2 more serpae tetras instead of the 3 pristella tetras?

Mar

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Niether of those options would be good for the fish. Tetras need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. If you have just 3, they will be timid and you will not see that much out of them. I know it is tempting to get some tetras, but since there is not enough room for a whole shoal, please do what's best for the fish. And anyway, if Butterfly thinks your tank is full, then it's probably not a great idea to get more fish. What I would do is take back the tetra, and if you want another fish get another Platy.

11. MarNew MemberMember

I frogot to mention the gouramy is a dwarf gouramy. Does that help?