How Many Fish In A 75g?

1. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 Valued Member Member

i'm planning on getting a 75g long and was wondering if i could put 10 male guppies 10 neon tetras and 10 corys in it, i dont have the tank so i cant give the exact dimensions but google said the average 75g is 48"x 18"x 21" so it will probably be around that.

2. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

More than enough space. You could bump the neon tetras to 20 and still have space for a pleco or other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

ya it might be a little big because when i was thinking about what fish will go in i made sure my male guppies had more than enough space because they tend to nip at each others fin more than i would like, thats also why im adding neons to distract them from each other.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would swap the neons for cardinals and keep the tank at around 78 degrees.

5. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

why swap the neons? will they be a problem?

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Neons prefer cooler water than the guppies.

That’s all. Cardinal tetras look exactly the same thoug and like warmer temps.

7. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

oh ok ill do that then

8. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Not necessarily. For breeding purposes, a higher temp may be desirable for faster breeding and fry growth rates, but otherwise, guppies will do fine in the same temp range as neons.

What type of corys are you thinking about, OP?

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I agree - I keep guppies, Neons, Platy's, Cory's ( and some cool water fish such as dojo loaches, etc ) in a tank thats 73/74 and they have done fine for the past 7 years ;)
    There is quite a range for low/high on each of them and there can be some variances but if set at a temp thats a medium for all, they will be fine.

BTW - I have a 72 gallon for my main tank with about 40 fish and 50 + Nerite snails ;)

10. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

i guess ill do my own research on the neons vs cardinals but as for the corys im doing bronze

11. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

In saying all that, neons are known to be rather finicky due to poor stock- inbreeding mostly - and its not uncommon to loose over 75% of stock after a few weeks of purchase.

12. Junne

Just remember, not everything you read here is set in stone - there are many variations and deviations and not everything has to be black or white but shades of gray.
    Go by the research you do and then decide what works best. I hear many times that schools of ( insert fish here ) has to be XYZ and I think thats a lot of tales being told and retold again. I am well overstocked on some species and well understocked on others. Are my fish happy? Well thats hard to say but in 7 years, I think I have a good grasp of whats healthy and whats not and most of my fish live long lives. :)

13. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Good choice - Aeneus corys have a very wide temperature range. They'll do well with either species (Cardinals or neons).

14. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I can only speak for myself - but I know countless others thats have similar experiences - neons are finicky. I've brought numerous schools of neons from 'healthy tanks' - visually.... - and after a few weeks lost around 80% of the stock from random illnesses and deaths. The ones that do survive, are rather hardy and have long lives... but IMO I prefer to stock with fish thats more hardy and have a higher likelihood of living.

15. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

so cardinals would be better?

16. Junne

In my experience, MOST fish bought in places like petco/petsmart are prone to poor stock/inbreeding etc. I have found that the fish I buy from independent and online are better quality but there are pros and cons to that as well.

Petco/petsmart -
    Pros - 14 day dead fish guarantee
    Prices are typically lower
    Cons - not all stores are adequately taken care of resulting in sick fish, overbred stock, etc
    Fish are usually ordered and sometimes can take a week to ship from the supplier to the store and by this time, already stressed.

Online private breeder - some lfs
    Pros - usually better quality stock
    Cons -
    dead fish guarantee not always as good - some of my local lfs only guarantee for 3 days
    Prices are a bit higher and then there's shipping costs
    No middleman so fish shipped directly from their tank to you in a few days.

17. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

ya usually when i have to buy from a chain pet store i am very picky on the fish i get and will only buy the ones that look healthy and active, sometimes they still die but for the most part they do live.

18. Junne

I actually buy quite a bit from Petsmart and have had really good luck. I am friends with one of the lead supervisors there and have given her plenty of fish babies and shrimp over the years. She always tells me when stuff is coming in/sales etc,
    I usually wait until the big $1.00 per fish sales and then buy as many as I can. Last batch in January I bought 24 Neons for $1.00 a piece! :)

Petco I don't have much luck with at all - even their durable goods seem to break ( or not work )

For other hard to find fish and shrimp, I love aquaticarts - really good customer service and dead fish policy!

19. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

It definitely depends on the specific store. I have about 10-12 PetCo and PetSmarts within 10 mile radius and I buy fish from 2 PetCos and 2 PetSmarts. PetSmart sales are awesome! $1 and $2 per fish and buy 3 get 4 on top of the sale prices. 1 PetCo rivals most LFS in quality and selection (tons of unique plecos!).

I'm not a fan of online shops mostly because I'm leary of shipping.

20. OP
    OP
    Lizzy23

ya i have have to travel 3 hours away to get to any pet store i would buy a fish from because my local one obviously can't take care of fish, and they always have more dead and sick fish then they do healthy ones and pay zero attention to how many fish can fit into a tank and what types of fish can live together.