How Many Fish In A 70 G Tank?

1. DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer Initiate Member

How many fish can fit in my fully cycled 70g tank? They also worn grow huge. Around 4 inches for each of their max length.

2. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Can you tell us what type of fish you have in mind. We can them go from there.

3. OP
    OP
    DoggoThePuffer

Well I’m going to Reefapalooza and they have all types of fish. I’m just gonna get fish that catch my eye.

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on going to Reefapalooza!

Also, could we see a picture of your tank so we can have an idea of available territories for fish? I'd bet wrasses will catch your eye, and possibly tangs and angels. Keep in mind that most fish you'll see will be babies and some of these species will get very large in adulthood. If you do see angels and tangs, be sure you're getting the smallest or dwarf varieties.

Do you have any idea will interest you? The reason I ask is that lots of saltwater fish are semi-aggressive at the least, so if you're interested in peaceful fish like gobies and blennies, they should be added to the tank first and given time to get established before fish like clowns, other damsels, angels, tangs or wrasses are added.

Are you interested in keeping corals? If so, you'll want to make sure any fish you get is deemed reef safe.;)

5. OP
    OP
    DoggoThePuffer

All the pics are on my other forum post. But I know they will get big, I just wanted to know since the average is 4 inches, how many small fish could fit in it that grow max up to 4 inches.

6. stella1979

Well, it's tough to generalize, but bioload wise, probably 6 or 8. Activity and territory wise, impossible to say. So, is this the tank with the puffer?

I'm not really the best with stocking larger tanks. Perhaps @Jesterrace will be around soon, and he is much better with this sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun at RAP. :)

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I would say more than 6 or 8 4 inch fish. Maybe 10.

8. OP
    OP
    DoggoThePuffer

Awesome!!!! Thank you! And is there a limit to how many corals too?

9. stella1979

Lol, the only limits on corals are space and cost. So no, there is no limit on corals really, it's just best that you keep a long-term plan in sight, as you may want some to grow out big, and you may want to frag others for trading or selling. It's also best that you research each coral's needs as far as flow and lighting is concerned. So, placement and rockscape can be important. ;)

10. Joey Bekius

Joey Bekius Initiate Member

As many corals as you can, in my opinion. You cant get them all at once, though or else it will throw your bio load off. Same with fish.

Also for fish stocking i’d do:
    4x yellow stripe cardinal
    4x vanderbilt chromis
    4x banggai cardinal
    1x mccoskers flasher wrasse
    1x jawfish, blue spot or yellow head
    1x Randalls goby (with pistol shrimp)
    2x ocelarius clowns
    1x tomini tang
    1x royal gramma or 2x firefish
    1x ruby red dragonet (stay away from this one if you are a beginner)