How Many Fish In A 36 Gallon Bowfront Freshwater Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Georgiefrogs, Apr 18, 2018.

1. G

Georgiefrogs New Member Member

I have a 36 gallon cycled bow front tank. Currently I have 3 angelfish, 1 sunrise gourami, 1 three spot gourami, 1 pletco and a female betta. Can I add any more fish, if so what kind and how many?

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

how attached to that betta and gourami are you? Im assuming the Angels are young still because they will go after the betta and gourami's as they get bigger

3. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

You have some stocking issues, if you want to discuss, it probably will be hard to a stock with it's current inhabitants.

4. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

Pretty much everything you have listed in there is a problem, depending on the kind of pleco. Generally gourami and bettas should never be kept together except in a large aquarium, and I wouldn't mix gourami, especially concerning three spot gourami. And on top of this, angelfish will go after everything you have in there.

So talk to us, and we can help you decide what you want to do with the future of your stock

5. OP
    OP
    G

That's not good news. I had read that gourami an angelfish go good
    That is not good news. The angelfish are my favorite and I looked online and consulted with the fish store and they said the gouramis are compatible. I'm pretty new to fish and I've killed way too many so I'm super happy that these ones are alive. I originally had the angelfish the beta and the pletco in a 10 gallon. And I realized that the fish were going to get too big so I upgraded to the 36 gallon tank. I have a 5 gallon tank with one frog in it I could probably move the beta in that tank. The 3 spot gourami is a food hog. At this point though everybody is getting along. That's why I said I Am brand new to fish so I'm open to suggestions

As you can see in the picture the betta fish is hiding

I replied in the thread but I'm new to this forum thing so I didn't realize I should have replied directly to you

I replied to the thread not the individual comments so can you look at my response on the thread? Sorry I didn't realize I was supposed to respond to each individual person

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  6. NavyChief20

Dont worry Georgie we read all the comments and we are here to help. You have to be careful with fish stores. I am lucky because my petco and petsmart have some fish people that are actually fish keepers. I have seen them refuse to sell fish to people because of tank size or they are buying the tank and fish at the same time.

The angels are cichlids, I exclusively keep cichlids and MOST of them are aggressive. Many of them are downright mean. Angels are aggressive and mean. Your betta will not last long. The gouramis with their modified pectoral fins will incite the angels wrath and they will stress out or become food. 3 angels in a 36 gallon is at a limit. Depending on their gender you might be off a bit. They dont get huge but they can get big. Plecos generally speaking dont attract attention of other fish. However my sons convicts do chase his clown pleco.

7. OP
    OP
    G

So the orange gourami i think is a dwarf. I thought I read somewhere that the three spot gourami will get up to 6 in Long. Maybe my Angelfish are still pretty young because their mouth does not look big enough to eat those other fish. LOL so should I move the betta in with my frog? What do you do with fish that you've already purchased? So the angelfish will eventually kill the gouramis? Ugh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  8. NavyChief20

Some stores will do buy backs. The other option is another tank. You are looking at a stressed tank if you dont separate the angels and betta as well as the gouramis from the angels . The betta would be fine with the frog i dont think the frog would bother him or vice versa

9. OP
    OP
    G

Can't do another tank. A 36 gallon tank seems pretty big for just three angelfish in a pleco. Can I put any fish in with angelfish?

10. NavyChief20

thats good sized for them. Angels can be tough tank mates. I would stabilize the "feel" then look at tank mates. nothing aggressive and nothing that is a fin nipper or has long fins.

11. OP
    OP
    G

Thank you so much for your help

12. NavyChief20

yes ma'am

13. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

Just putting in my two cents, I've had my Angelfish with a dwarf gourami for almost a year and the most aggression I saw was when my pair was breeding and they chased him off.. That just may be my fish though.

14. OP
    OP
    G

Thank you. Should I wait to see aggression or return them to avoid potential aggression?

15. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

I would personally return one of them, because most Gouramis will fight.

16. OP
    OP
    G

Ok

17. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

The truth is that if you have a common plecostomus or a Sailfin plecostomus they will eventually need a much larger tank just by themselves.

If you feed your pleco as much as he will eat in that 36 he will grow over a foot long and he will poop up the tank so bad that you will be changing half the water every other day or your fish will be dying from ammonia poisoning.

I'm 100% certain that this is why my angel fish died (ammonia spiking) and I will never try to keep them with a big pleco again.

18. OP
    OP
    G

I think all of them are pretty young right now. I just moved my betta to the Frog tank and I'm planning on bringing the three spot gourami back to the fish store this week. And nitrates are at about a 10 right now. I have become a chemist since my last goldfish my daughter brought home from the fair. But now that the Frog tank and the fish tank are cycled, i'm not quite sure what to do. Do I change the water once a week? I'm going to keep the pleco for now and if it gets too big and becomes a problem I'll take it to the fish store. They said they would take it back as long as it's healthy. I was reading that the bristlenose are pretty good. I'm not sure what kind I have.

19. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Since the tanks are now cycled your just looking into doing weekly water changes. In most cases, its around 20-40% (most seem to do around 30%). Basically you want to keep the nitrates at 10-20, if it climbs higher than 20ppm increase the percentage.

Water changes also help add lost minerals and help remove hormone buildup as well.

The pleco you have is a common. I would suggest taking it out asap - keeping them in smaller tanks can stunt their growth - and swap it out for a BN pleco. A bit more size appropriate.

20. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

Yes the common pleco is a common problem. Fish stores sell them cheap like popcorn, then they grow big and messy.

When a big one poops in your tank it causes an ammonia spike. This means that in a small tank you cannot easily keep up the water quality. There's just not enough dilution.

I learned this the hard way, doing lots and lots of water changes to keep my other fish alive if there was a 6" pleco in the tank.

Many people say they don't have this problem but that's because they are starving their pleco. They eat a lot and poop a lot and if they're not messing up your tank they're not healthy and growing.

In order to keep a 6 in pleco in a 30-gallon tank with just a handful of tiny fish, I have a 10 gallon sump filter and I am changing the water at least 50% every 3 days.

I have a 55 gallon tank to put him in but I'm not set up right now. He will have to Soldier on a bit longer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice