How Many Fish For A 3.5 Gallon Aquarium?

Ruby M.
I have been thinking for awhile to get fish, and we were thinking a 3.5 gallon tank. The reason why we don’t want a larger tank is that they are too heavy, and we don’t have anywhere to put it. I am a beginner to fish, I had some when I was really little, but I don’t remember those. We were thinking 2 tetra and a ghost shrimp. Is that suitable?

WTFish?
I think a single Betta and maybe a snail or a shrimp tank would be cool, that’s a pretty small tank to work with.

2211Nighthawk
No to tetras. They are a scooping fish and needs room and others of the same species. Shrimp would work, if suggest cherries over ghost, they stay way smaller and you can have more.

Ruby M.
I think a single Betta and maybe a snail or a shrimp tank would be cool, that’s a pretty small tank to work with.
How many ghost shrimp could I fit in there?

No to tetras. They are a scooping fish and needs room and others of the same species. Shrimp would work, if suggest cherries over ghost, they stay way smaller and you can have more.
Ok. Could I fit any fish in a 5 gallon tank?

WTFish?
How many ghost shrimp could I fit in there?
I agree with 2211Nighthawk about cherry shrimp over ghost, although I know nothing about ghosts, cherrys are small and easy and much prettier imo...I’d say start with 10 maybe? They’ll breed quick. I’d make sure it’s completely cycled first. Use a sponge filter and live plants.

Ruby M.
I agree with 2211Nighthawk about cherry shrimp over ghost, although I know nothing about ghosts, cherrys are small and easy and much prettier imo...I’d say start with 10 maybe? They’ll breed quick. I’d make sure it’s completely cycled first. Use a sponge filter and live plants.
What is a sponge filter?

WTFish?
It’s a sponge connected to an air pump for filtration, there’s no intake that will suck up any babies, great for shrimp, bettas, small fish, fish with long fins etc...here’s what have in my 5 gallon and they make them smaller or larger too ...oh and way cheaper.
uxcell 10-Gallons/ 120L Fish Tank Sponge Filter Replacement for Aquarium XY-2831

Ruby M.
It’s a sponge connected to an air pump for filtration, there’s no intake that will suck up any babies, great for shrimp, bettas, small fish, fish with long fins etc...here’s what have in my 5 gallon and they make them smaller or larger too ...oh and way cheaper.
uxcell 10-Gallons/ 120L Fish Tank Sponge Filter Replacement for Aquarium XY-2831
Thank you!

Thank you!
Also could I fit any fish besides betta in a five gallon tank? I would be fine with a betta, but my friend had 2 tetra, 1 neon tetra, a mystery snail and an African dwarf frog in a five gallon. Is that way to much?

WTFish?
Well, tetras are schooling fish, I believe they need 6 or more, a 5 g might be ok for only that, for neons. Others might be more advisable on this than I am..I’m pretty sure it’s way too small for the adf but not positive as I know nothing about them. My 5 gallon has 7 red cherry shrimp, most will lay eggs soon, and 3 Dario darios, which will keep the population down some with the breeding shrimp.

avaladon
Also could I fit any fish besides betta in a five gallon tank? I would be fine with a betta, but my friend had 2 tetra, 1 neon tetra, a mystery snail and an African dwarf frog in a five gallon. Is that way to much?
You could do two or three african dwarf frogs, or you could do a single betta, or you could do a single dwarf puffer I believe!

ParrotCichlid

You could do a few male endler livebearers or a dwarf puffer.

The dwarf puffer would need a heavily planted tank and rigorous water changes. Water parameters are vital for dwarf puffers.

WTFish?
You could do two or three african dwarf frogs, or you could do a single betta, or you could do a single dwarf puffer I believe!
Oh good to know about the adfs, should they be species only tank?

avaladon
Oh good to know about the adfs, should they be species only tank?
Its better that way! They have bad eyesight so they are best in a species only tank! But you have to make sure the tank isn't too deep, like usually 11 or 12 inches is good (might have to double check on that though) because they need to breathe air

WTFish?
Its better that way! They have bad eyesight so they are best in a species only tank! But you have to make sure the tank isn't too deep, like usually 11 or 12 inches is good (might have to double check on that though) because they need to breathe air
Gotcha thanks!

avaladon
Gotcha thanks!
Ive never kept them myself though, I was almost going to so I did a lot of research, but I don't have personal experience with them, just a disclaimer!

ParrotCichlid
Oh and if you do want a dwarf puffer then you need a constant supply of live snails.

puffer boi
I wouldnt do a dwarf puffer if this is your first fish tank as they need special care

FeederGuppies
For a heated, filtered 5 gallon tank you could have:

1x betta

OR

1-2x male guppies

OR

2-3x male endlers/endler hybrids/feeder guppies

OR

A red cherry shrimp colony

OR

5x ghost or amano shrimp

Lucy
HI Ruby!
Since you are just starting out, may I suggest this
FishLore's Free Freshwater Aquarium E-Book

3.5 gallon isn't really enough room for 2 or 3 African dwarf frogs. Maybe 1 but of course they are social and do better in groups so rule those cuties out for this size tank.

david1978
For a beginner a 10 gallon would be better if you have the room. The more water volume the more consistent the water conditions. Also it lets leeway for mistakes. And many more stocking options.

Stocking List for 10 Gallons

avaladon
HI Ruby!
Since you are just starting out, may I suggest this
FishLore's Free Freshwater Aquarium E-Book

3.5 gallon isn't really enough room for 2 or 3 African dwarf frogs. Maybe 1 but of course they are social and do better in groups so rule those cuties out for this size tank.
oh I know! That was in response to them asking about a 5 gallon tank

Lucy

oh I know! That was in response to them asking about a 5 gallon tank

Apologies. My mistake for missing that part.

BReefer97

No to both of those. A single dwarf from should have at least 5 gallons, as should a pea puffer. Pea puffers don't get large, but they get extremely bored in small tanks. Dwarf frogs aren't extremely small, they actually get pretty big. I would only say some shrimp for a 3.5 gallon tank. You could get a 5 gallon tank for around the same price and it'll take up almost the same exact space as a 3.5 gallon (the dimensions are what really counts). I would say you could do a betta fish and 2-4 ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon tank happily. Plus it's way more rewarding, I promise you. I had my betta in a 3 gallon and I didn't realize how big of a difference 2 more gallons made. The only things you have to buy seperately are a heater and the decor you want (I recommend Hydor heaters because they're inexpensive, adjustable, and accurate).

EDIT: this thread updated after I posted this, I guess I had this sitting on my browser for a little too long. Whoops!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
BaerBonesBarber
Replies
Views
JollyOtter
Replies
Views