How Many Fish for 5 Gallon Tank? Question

1. angeliccreature

angeliccreature Valued Member Member

How many of these: harlin rasboras, regular neons, white clouds and or bumblebee gobies/puffers in a 5 gallon tank

2. n

nhaiflich Valued Member Member

IMO I would only do a betta. Even then they are happier in a 10. I think I've also read 5 gal could be used for shrimp or frogs.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree, there's really nothing you can put in a 5 gallon tank besides a betta and some shrimp .

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

Other folks will tell you five neon tetras or three male guppies or three male endler's might be possible.

5. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

A betta, two guppies, three Endlers, a few micro-fish (ember tetras, chili rasboras, CPDs). All male on the livebearers.

Neons, harlequins, gobies and white clouds need a tank larger than five gallons, but there are options other than "betta or shrimp" for 5g tanks.

6. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't even do male guppies in a 5 gallon long term. It's fine for QT but they need more swimming space, as they are major spazzes.

Harlequin rasboras won't do well in this size tank, but a small school of chili rasboras would do well, as would dwarf rasboras (boraras maculatus) if you can find them.

You could easily house a small group of sparkling gouramis in there, or a betta, or shrimp (but don't put any of these in the tank together, as you will end up missing a bunch of your pets if you try). If you're willing to do the work, a pair of Scarlet Badis with a separate tank for raising live food would do well. You could also house a pair of F. Gardneri killifish, or a similarly sized species.

Unfortunately none of the fish on your list are suitable to this size tank.

7. Anon

Anon Valued Member Member

I think it would be just plain cruel to put any fish in a 5 gallon tank permanently. If you already have the tank, just save it for QT. Or use it to make a cool aquascape with some live plants and some shrimp.

8. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

I don't see how we can quantifiably say 5 gallons, 16" of tank, is cruel and 10 gallons, 20" of tank, is not. Very small fish can thrive in either if cared for just as easily as they could suffer in 55 gallons if not cared for.

9. Guppy123

Guppy123 New Member Member

Guppies might do just fine in a five gallon. I don't know about the other fish, but small fish such as live bearers should do fine. The only thing to look out for is to not overstock the tank because it is a small tank.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't put guppies in a 5 gallon, they may be small but they're active fish & need more space.
    It would make a nice Betta or shrimp home.

11. Fishguy11

Fishguy11 Valued Member Member

I've bred guppies in the tank before so you could a couple guppies but with very good care

12. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put female guppies in a 5g at all. The first litter that came out would critically overstock you. Breeding guppies, imo, is a job for a 20g species tank.

13. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

For another option, you could possibly get away with two African dwarf frogs if the current is gentle enough and there are lots of plants.

14. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Betta or Shrimp... that is all.