How many fish can I safely keep

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kelsea, Jul 28, 2015.

1. k

kelsea New Member Member

I have 4 tiger barbs, 1 Denison shark, 6 skirt tetras, and 2 angelfish in a 37 gallon tank. How many more fish can I safely fit? I wanted at least one more angel.... And maybe a crayfish of some sort.

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

Crayfish are not good with fish. They should really be in a specie only tank.
    :)

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Um, " your going to need a bigger boat!"

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

2 angelfish is already enough for a 37 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore
    Tiger Barbs need to be in a school of at least 6 but the more the better. Larger numbers will keep them from harassing tank mates. They shouldn't be kept with Angelfish because they can be nippy to slower moving fish and fish with long fins. Angels can be a tempting target. I believe the same applies to Skirt Tetras.
    Denison barbs also need to be in a group of six and the minimum tank size they should be in is a 55 gallon. You need to rehome the one you have.
    I can't help with Angels, but I am sure others can.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put more than 2 angels in a tank that size. And definitely not with tiger barbs.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I wouldn't even put one angel in a tank that's basically a 29 Tall...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ooh, I didn't realize the dimensions were that small.

Kelsea, you could rehome the angels and the denison shark, and up your barbs to 6 or more. If they haven't bothered the skirt tetras yet, they may not, and you may be able to keep them together. Just watch out for future nipping!

Or you could upgrade to a larger tank, keep the angels and the skirts (if they haven't bothered the angels in the past, you may be able to keep them together - again, just watch out for future nipping!), and rehome the barbs and the denison shark.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice