How many fish can I keep??

1. jcmguy Member Member

I know the rule "1 inch of fish per 1 gallon" but now my 29 gallon tank has not one 30 gallon HOB filter but two. How many fish, if any extra, can I keep? With regular water changes, of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

I generally don't follow that rule, it's pretty outdated and only applies to certain fish. for example a fish like an Oscar which can get to 12 inches can most certainly not be kept in a 12 gallon tank. Conversely, if you have an 100 gallon tank, you could easily keep more than 100 little 1 inch tetras in there. It depends on the body depth of the fish as well as temperament, waste production, territorial concerns etc.

So it completely depends on what kind of fish you would like to keep. What were you thinking?

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The inch per gallon rule imo isn't a good guide as it doesn't take into account the behavioural characteristics of the fish.
    For instance some small fish are very active swimmers so they need plenty of space, then there are territorial fish needing space to set up their territories etc.
    To advise what fish might be suitable for your tank we need to know whether your water is soft or hard, what fish you already have in the tank & what kind of fish you like - lots of small fish or just a couple of larger fish?

4. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I agree with AquaObsessed. Swimming space and territory become more important as you become more knowledgeable and feel comfortable "overstocking" your tank.

5. jcmguy Member Member

Alright! Thanks guys. But do any of you have suggestions on what fish I would want based on my preference? Preference: I would like slow moving color from top to bottom. Not a super over stocked tank. But enough so that I can see a decent sized colorful fish at all time with lots of plants.

6. renthus Well Known Member Member

Depends. Do you have anything in there right now? You might want to look into cories (bottom dweller, fast), ember tetras (schooling, red, small, love plants, mid-level), and a dwarf gourami (bigger, slow, mid/top). You could also go a harem of GBRs.

PS: Never do inch/gallon. Even aqadvisor is better than that.

7. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

Guppies and many varieties of dwarf cichlids provide the flash of colourful brilliance you're probably looking for, with the added benefit of being quite peaceful, as do a huge variety of tetras (I prefer neons and cardinals myself, I'm a sucker for blue). GBR's are gorgeous but in my experience not very hardy at all. I have always had them dying off for no apparent reason.

8. jcmguy Member Member

I was thinking of getting some corys, about 6, a pearl gourami, some ember tetras, maybe 5, and some colorful guppies to top it off. Would any of these fish clash?

9. renthus Well Known Member Member

Personally I would boost the number of tetras. 6 is sortof a minimum, and will be fine if you're heavily planted, but I think they really do prefer being in a significantly larger school, like 10-20. I know they get incredibly skittish in smaller numbers. Other than that, looks good.

10. jcmguy Member Member

Okay. Thank renthus would I be able to mix neon tetras and ember tetras or no?

11. renthus Well Known Member Member

You can. They wouldn't school together (so don't do a 3/3 split or something), but they won't have any issues coexisting.

One note about neon tetras. I don't know if this is still the case, but at least in the past neons have been known to be incredibly fragile. I've heard of as high as a 90% mortality rate. You may want to look at the more hardy Cardinal tetras, which have similar coloring.

12. jcmguy Member Member

Alright. I'll look into them renthus thank you for the advice!