How Many Fish Can I Have. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sydney54, Apr 18, 2018.

1. S

Sydney54 New Member Member

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 3 Rummy Nose Tetras and 2 khuli loaches (one of them is a Black Khuli loach) and I was wondering if I can put more fish in there? I was planning on 7 Rummy nose,
    2 Khuli, and 1 male Betta. Is this too much for my small tank or am I fine?

2. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I would not put a betta with other fish in a ten gallon. I can't say about the other fish you have.

3. S

Stryphe89 New Member Member

Stocking highly depends on your filtration as well, not just your tank size. Assuming that you have a filter meant for around 10 gallons, your final stocking plan is definitely overkill. Its normally recommended that you keep a school of kuhlis as well (at least 5). Aqadvisor.com is a great website when trying to plan your stocking levels for a new tank.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Robjoco

Robjoco Valued Member Member

Since Kuhlis get over 3” long and prefer to be in groups of 5 or 6, I wouldn’t personally keep them in a 10g. As for the Betta, I’ve heard stories of rummies nipping fins, so I wouldn’t add one here for that reason, and also since it’s already crowded.

5. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

You should be ok, with 6 or so tetras and maybe swap out the kuhlis for a nerite snail or two, or some shrimp

6. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I thought they got up to three inches?

7. S

Stryphe89 New Member Member

They have a maximum length of around 4" or so. 5 or 6 - 4" fish in a 10 gallon would be quite crowded. Even without considering the other inhabitants.

8. OP
    OP
    S

I have a ‘Penguin 75 Bio-Wheel Power Filter’. Although I know Khuli’s are schooling I’m planning on keeping only the two of them. If I only have 5 Rummy’s, 2 khulis and then the one Betta. Would that be okay? I know that Khuli’s get big and I’m only keeping them for about 6 months for a friend. I just want to make sure that the tank is okay for those few months if I choose to add all the fish.

9. j

The Khuli's wont do well, because they are shoaling fish.
    The rummy's are also shoaling fish, so they need at least 6.
    And the betta will likely harass or kill all the other fish in a 10 gallon. People are rarely successful in keeping male bettas in community tanks that are 55gal and bigger. In 10 gallons you are asking for disaster.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Would 4 Khuli’s and 5-7 tetras be okay in the tank?

11. j

Khuli's grow to 4 inches long and need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Thus, they are not compatible with a 10 gallon tank. Because that would add to 24 inches of fish, when the general rule is 1 inch per gallon. So no, 4 khulis would not work.

6-7 tetras will be fine, provided you pick the right nano species. Look into ember tetras and neon green tetras. Chili rasbora's are another option.
    And with that many tetras you have room for a couple other options. Maybe one dwarf gourami, and some shrimp or a snail or two?

12. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

The inch per gallon rule is highly innacruate, I'd suggest not using it for most aquariums out there.

Kuhlis not only get 'large', but they are active social nocturnal fish and do better of schools of 6 or more in a 20g long. A 20g long will offee them plenty of room to get around, and allow them to have room.

The rummies are extremely active fish and from my experiences do better in tanks of 20g long as well, but from personal experiences I would suggest nothing smaller than a tank with a 4ft footprint. In my 64g, they readily use the entire tank and actively sit and excersize in front of my powerhead/wavemaker.

I would highly consider taking both fish species out and consider looking into nano fish species. They a lot more size appropiate.

13. j

I generally don't use it. I just decided to use it in this case to "prove" that khuli's were not appropriate in a 10 gallon because I had already stated it 2 times, and so have other members.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice