How Many Fish Can Go In Here?

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon, a ton of mystery snail, 2 angel fish, and 4 skirt tetras. A 10 gallon, 3 guppies, female Betta and fry.
A 5 gallon, male Betta, 2 live bearers.

I really just want to split my mystery snails up in each tank so the tanks aren't over stocked. I have 10. Dont think any can gp in my 5 because its already pretty stocked. Alot of plants and 3 fish. What do you think?

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say your 20 gal is already over stocked the angels should be in a bigger tank. The 10 gl and 5 gl should be ok with what they have if you want to split the snails that will be fine.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
grump299 said:
I would say your 20 gal is already over stocked the angels should be in a bigger tank. The 10 gl and 5 gl should be ok with what they have if you want to split the snails that will be fine.
The angels are super small and will be moved when they get bigger. They are fine for now. They are actually small enough to be in the 10 gallon for awhile. (The girl said they grow super slow.)

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emuhlee said:
The angels are super small and will be moved when they get bigger. They are fine for now. They are actually small enough to be in the 10 gallon for awhile. (The girl said they grow super slow.)
What do you call super slow I've had angels that would out grow a 20 gal in under a year the last pair I had where full grown in 2 years and lived for almost 8 years.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
grump299 said:
What do you call super slow I've had angels that would out grow a 20 gal in under a year the last pair I had where full grown in 2 years and lived for almost 8 years.
She didn't tell me how slow slow was. I didn't get them without doing my research though. I looked at what size tank to get and what they would eventually need. They are small enough for the 20 and when they out grow and I don't have a tank big enough, my friend won't have an issue taking them in her huge tank. She already wants them.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Okay, so you have some stocking issues if you want to talk about it?
Emuhlee said:
The fish bagger girl was mistaken. I bought a small angelfish the size of a dime 1 month ago that is now the size of a 50 cent piece. I bought 4 about the size of quarter in December and they were fully grown and ready to spawn in April.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emuhlee said:
She didn't tell me how slow slow was. I didn't get them without doing my research though. I looked at what size tank to get and what they would eventually need. They are small enough for the 20 and when they out grow and I don't have a tank big enough, my friend won't have an issue taking them in her huge tank. She already wants them.
Ok no problem I'm just trying to help its only my opinion I have always had a large tank 75gl.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Emuhlee said:
Well, you should not have two angels in this tank, how large are they.
If you want two, you'll need at least a 40 gallon tank if not larger, angels get large and need space as they can be territorial.
Are the skirt tetras white or black? If they are black, they aren't compatible with angels, you'll need to pick a different tetra that is warmer water.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
grump299 said:
Ok no problem I'm just trying to help its only my opinion I have always had a large tank 75gl.
Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. I'll keep them a bit longer and then give them away to my friend with the huge tank or back to my pet shop.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Well, you should not have two angels in this tank, how large are they.
If you want two, you'll need at least a 40 gallon tank if not larger, angels get large and need space as they can be territorial.
Are the skirt tetras white or black? If they are black, they aren't compatible with angels, you'll need to pick a different tetra that is warmer water.
They are about the size of a quarter. The tetras are white and black. What's the difference in white and black skirt tetras? Why is one compatible and the other isnt? I only got them together because I saw a video of someone who had angels and skirt tetras together. Uh oh.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Emuhlee said:
They are about the size of a quarter. The tetras are white and black. What's the difference in white and black skirt tetras? Why is one compatible and the other isnt? I only got them together because I saw a video of someone who had angels and skirt tetras together. Uh oh.
I also got a thing from pet smart that told me which fish were and were not compatible.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Emuhlee said:
If the fish are black, they are black skirts. White skirts are just white with clear fins.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
If the fish are black, they are black skirts. White skirts are just white with clear fins.
Yes. Lol I know that. I meant what's the difference in compatibility. You said black skirts weren't compatible with angel fish, so why aren't white skirts. I'm a little confused. They all seem to get along well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom