Reaction score
Experience
Just started

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A single platy doesn't have much bioload, so you don't have much bacteria. A couple at a time, or you could add a bacterial supplement like tetra safe start to speed it up if you haven't already.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No they will be I just am not counting them yet as I don't know if we will keep them or how many will survive.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have three honey gourami and they're super active and playful! Start with them and wait a couple weeks

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A single platy doesn't have much bioload, so you don't have much bacteria. A couple at a time, or you could add a bacterial supplement like tetra safe start to speed it up if you haven't already.
I have actually started over feeding her to help bump up my cycle over the last couple of days. Good news is even with the extra food my Ammonia is staying around .25- .50 but my nitrates are definitely increasing. I'm hoping it'll cycle soon completely. I have been skipping water changes for almost a week and just dosing prime and double dosing stability. Does this sound like a good plan?

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have actually started over feeding her to help bump up my cycle over the last couple of days. Good news is even with the extra food my Ammonia is staying around .25- .50 but my nitrates are definitely increasing. I'm hoping it'll cycle soon completely. I have been skipping water changes for almost a week and just dosing prime and double dosing stability. Does this sound like a good plan?
In my opinion, Not really. Have you seen nitrites yet? What are the ammonia nitrite nitrate readings on your source water?

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm, okay, I guess I don't know enough about how you are cycling your tank, fish in. If you had seed material, I would expect, your readings. If not, you have a process ahead of you. Good luck.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh I have been cycling for a bit. We had a 10g we were cycling and we switched to a 20g so had to mostly start over and that was 3 weeks ago. I have 1 pregnant platy and 2 nerite snails. I'm waiting for her to have the babies and to cycle before adding more fish. This post was planning for that .I am using extra food because it is just the 1 platy in the 20g and I want to help build up some bb for the babies and when I add fish.

appcontrol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't put anything in my 22 gallon tank for 2 weeks, after that i added 2 nerite snails, week after young ancistrus. After 30 days from starting i start adding 4-5 fishes at a time (black neons, harlequin Rasboras etc.) per week, every time did add fishes i would add half dose of easy start bacteria and liquid zeolit in tank and all workout just fine. But i did have relatively a lot of plants and over filtration like 9 times per hour my water would circulate trough the 2 smaller filters. So i don't know would my approach work for you.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh I have been cycling for a bit. We had a 10g we were cycling and we switched to a 20g so had to mostly start over and that was 3 weeks ago. I have 1 pregnant platy and 2 nerite snails. I'm waiting for her to have the babies and to cycle before adding more fish. This post was planning for that .I am using extra food because it is just the 1 platy in the 20g and I want to help build up some bb for the babies and when I add fish.
My concern is the fish, doing a fish in cycle with a pregnant fish is rough on the fish. Be careful doing it that way, you could have an ammonia explosion like that. Extra food doesn't decompose at a measurable rate like detritus does. The only reason I'm hesitant to say you are messing up, is where are the nitrates coming from? So it is possible you have some BB hanging out somewhere. I hope your fish survives, keep on testing. Good luck.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am cycling my tank with a pregnant platy. I am waiting for that and for her to have the babies before adding any more fish. It is a 20 long. Today's test was ammonia .25, nitrites 0 and nitrates between 5-10. I know I want to add 6 dainty cories, 6 of another school either harlequin rasbora's, cherry Barb's or glofish danios and then 1 or 2 honey gourami. Plus some ghost shrimp. How many fish would you add at a time when the tank is newly cycled?
Are you sure that your test kit is accurate? The reason I ask is that getting readings of ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5-10 is somewhat bizarre on a cycling tank.
Under normal circumstances you would expect ammonia levels to build up followed by nitrite levels increasing as the ammonia level drops and eventually nitrate levels to increase as the nitrite is converted to nitrate. I'm not sure how you can have ammonia still registering and decent nitrate levels but zero nitrite.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that your cycle was virtually complete but now you have started overfeeding the tank you are now getting an ammonia spike; the bacteria which converts the ammonia to nitrite is yet to catch up.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you sure that your test kit is accurate? The reason I ask is that getting readings of ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5-10 is somewhat bizarre on a cycling tank.
Under normal circumstances you would expect ammonia levels to build up followed by nitrite levels increasing as the ammonia level drops and eventually nitrate levels to increase as the nitrite is converted to nitrate. I'm not sure how you can have ammonia still registering and decent nitrate levels but zero nitrite.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that your cycle was virtually complete but now you have started overfeeding the tank you are now getting an ammonia spike; the bacteria which converts the ammonia to nitrite is yet to catch up.
The ammonia has actually been getting lower despite the extra food. Maybe I'll do a sand cleaning and see if they ammonia goes away. I am also confused as to why I have never had nitrites so any ideas would be great. I never had them in the 10g either. Always just ammonia and nitrates. I did 2 rounds of tss in the old tank to help with the cycle

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The ammonia has actually been getting lower despite the extra food. Maybe I'll do a sand cleaning and see if they ammonia goes away. I am also confused as to why I have never had nitrites so any ideas would be great. I never had them in the 10g either. Always just ammonia and nitrates. I did 2 rounds of tss in the old tank to help with the cycle
You had Nitrites. Most people don't test often enough to see a spike in a small tank. Also, unless you're using the Nutrafin Nitrite test they're often barely visible.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I should assume my tank is almost cycled then since the ammonia is going down and nitrates are going up?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be more precise, your tank appears to be nearly cycled for your current bioload. the babies should increase your bioload slowly enough as they grow to not cause issues. After the babies are a month old, and your Ammonia is consistently 0, would be the time to consider slowly adding more fish.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be more precise, your tank appears to be nearly cycled for your current bioload. the babies should increase your bioload slowly enough as they grow to not cause issues. After the babies are a month old, and your Ammonia is consistently 0, would be the time to consider slowly adding more fish.
Not really, if any ammonia is showing up in tests, there is no cycle. If it was in mid cycle, there would be ammonia and nitrite. There is no nitrite only ammonia and mystery nitrate. A cycled tank will not show ammonia, if it does, there is a problem and you're not cycled. FYI< ammonia in the source water equals a problem.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom