How many fish are good for a 10 gallon tank?

gabray47

I have a 10-gallon tank and plan to get 1 male betta and some pygmy corys. How many corys can comfortably live in that size tank? Can you have too few since they like to school? I would like to have as few as possible because I am a first-time fish owner.

Linda1234

Probably 8 to 12 would be a good number. The limiting factor is the size of you tank. HOWEVER one problem you will have is that betta prefer 80ish temp and pygmy do a lot better at 76 so the two fishes are not really compatible.

gabray47

Probably 8 to 12 would be a good number. The limiting factor is the size of you tank. HOWEVER one problem you will have is that betta prefer 80ish temp and pygmy do a lot better at 76 so the two fishes are not really compatible.
Hmmm. Okay. That is good to know. I haven't purchased any fish yet. I'm fishless cycling right now, and trying to prep the tank while I continue to research. Are there any other bottom dwelling fish you'd recommend with 1 male betta?

Linda1234

Hmmm. Okay. That is good to know. I haven't purchased any fish yet. I'm fishless cycling right now, and trying to prep the tank while I continue to research. Are there any other bottom dwelling fish you'd recommend with 1 male betta?
kuhli loaches; if your betta doesn't object. There is a specific type of kuhli loach that is fairly small and more suitable for a 10 gallon called shelfordii kuhli or pangio shelfordii. They are not too rare but finding a store that sells them is sometime difficult. They are more suitable for a small tank like a 10 gallon than a regular kuhli loach - they tend to be inexpensive if you can find them - around 3$ to 6$ per fish. You would want at least 6. The biggest concern would be the betta might chase them as they are not too large - that aspect i cannot comment.

gabray47

I am doing a fishless cycle in a 10-gallon freshwater with some anubias nana and java fern. I know I would like 1 male betta. In terms of tank mates, I would like some bottom dwellers such as cory catfish, but neon tetras also seem interesting. I don't, however, want to overload the tank.

Does anyone have advice about: 1) How many fish can live comfortably in this size of tank? 2) Is there a type of cory that works best with bettas? 3) What is a good catfish school size and/or neon tetra school size?

I don't have any preference, other than wanting the fish to be healthy and happy.

BigManAquatics

6 is usually a good minimum for cories and tetras. I would probably go with ember tetras or pygmy cories in a 10 gal with a betta. If the betta allows it. Otherwise i would go with a snail or two with the betta.

gabray47

6 is usually a good minimum for cories and tetras. I would probably go with ember tetras or pygmy cories in a 10 gal with a betta. If the betta allows it. Otherwise i would go with a snail or two with the betta.
Okay. So, do you mean 1 male betta plus 6 pygmy cories OR 6 ember tetras? I need to have some bottom feeders, right?

BigManAquatics

Okay. So, do you mean 1 male betta plus 6 pygmy cories OR 6 ember tetras? I need to have some bottom feeders, right?
Not especially. Most bottom feeders do better in a bigger tank as it is. And yes, you can try 6 ember tetras with a betta. But definitely not a betta with 2 schools of fish. Not in a 10 gal.

Spudsssy

Amano shrimp and snails is safe. Having a second tank is always best when attempting to mix a betta with community fish. In a 10gal there is always a risk. Iv never had an issue with a 20gal.... Makes a huge difference.

Atomicfish

I think the general rule for stocking an aquarium is no more than 1 inch of fish per gallon when a fish is full grown.

gabray47

Perfect. Thank you. Great advice! I love this forum.
Amano shrimp and snails is safe. Having a second tank is always best when attempting to mix a betta with community fish. In a 10gal there is always a risk. Iv never had an issue with a 20gal.... Makes a huge difference.
Thanks so much. I'll make sure to get a second tank. I hadn't thought of that.

Spudsssy

I think the general rule for stocking an aquarium is no more than 1 inch of fish per gallon when a fish is full grown.

Honestly, a better rule is school size and considering fish behaviour...... bioload depends on amount of plants/ filtration/ weekly water change and maintenance.

Every tank is different and everyone learns with experience. Research research research and ask questions like gabray47 is doing! ;)

gabray47

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help.
So, do you recommend getting the betta first and then adding the cories or the other way around?

Spudsssy

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help.

So, do you recommend getting the betta first and then adding the cories or the other way around?
Cories first. A betta will establish its territory and explore and remember ever inch of the tank.... A slightly better chance of a betta accepting fish when the other fish are already established in the tank.

My old betta would intimidate any new fish introduced to tank for a few days (25gal)... My current betta doesn't care.... never even flared once at other fish.

gabray47

In a 10-gallon tank, could you get a group of neon tetras and a group of pygmy corys?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Ten gallons are probably too small for both. If you would add a group of chili rasboras and the pigmy corys, it should work out pretty good. Is the tank planted?

gabray47

Yes, I have 4 anubias nanas and 4 java ferns.
Yes, I have 4 anubias nanas and 4 java ferns.
What about the pygmies and rasboras work well together?

PlantedCommunityTank132

I don't know. I don't know what could go wrong tho.

kallililly1973

Ember tetras could be another option

gabray47

I am currently doing a fishless cycle of a 10-gallon freshwater aquarium, and am researching potential fish. I would like to get 1 male betta, and I am wondering if pygmy corys would work well as tankmates. If so, should the corys or the betta be added first?

BigManAquatics

Like with most fish, depends mostly on the betta.

Redshark1

Corys first because you would be putting the Betta into their home rather than putting the Corys into the Betta's territory.

Katie Dawn

As Redshark said, definitely put cories or any other tank mates in BEFORE putting in the Betta. Bettas are so territorial, if they are added first they will not respond well to other creatures invading their territory. If the other creatures exist first there's a better chance they will carve out a portion of the tank as their own rather than claim all of it.

As for tank mates, the only combination that seems to work well the majority of there time is a Betta and a snail (like a nerite) - but some Bettas will even attack snails. It could work with pygmy cories, cories generally pay no attention to other fish so it's really about the Bettas temperament. Some do well with tank mates and others just can't. If you try tank mates make sure you have a plan B of where to permanently move the other fish(es) if it's not going well.

gabray47

Thanks so much for this advice. I am just learning and researching. I think I may just get a small group of fish, maybe the pygmy corydoras, and skip the betta altogether. I'm not sure I want to deal with such an aggressive fish. This is really helpful in helping me find the right fit!

Katie Dawn

Thanks so much for this advice. I am just learning and researching. I think I may just get a small group of fish, maybe the pygmy corydoras, and skip the betta altogether. I'm not sure I want to deal with such an aggressive fish. This is really helpful in helping me find the right fit!
That is exactly what I ended up doing! I enjoyed having Bettas but decided I just wanted to go with peaceful fish and really fell in love with cories. I only have one tank and it's nothing but panda cories. They are fantastic!

CryoraptorA303

Generally they tolerate cories pretty well. Bettas get a bad rap. They aren't as aggressive as you think they are. Almost all of the time they are only extremely aggressive towards other bettas or fish that resemble bettas, like fancy guppes. Of course take all the precautions but I find it highly unlikely for a betta to attack cories. It's almost unheard of.

gabray47

I will be stocking a 10-gallon tank with just pygmy corys. How many do you all recommend?

Rye3434

Personally I would probably do like 12-15

Fishyfishyfishman

Some people will say no corys in a 10. I did r do it because I have a lot of stuff covering up the bottom. If you have room on the bottom 7-9ish.

gabray47

Some people will say no corys in a 10. I did r do it because I have a lot of stuff covering up the bottom. If you have room on the bottom 7-9ish.
Thanks much for the advice. It is hard making some of these decisions because everyone has different thoughts on it. I'm taking my time trying to just do whatever is best for the fish :)
Length is more important than height to encourage their schooling behavior, yes?

ProudPapa

Thanks much for the advice. It is hard making some of these decisions because everyone has different thoughts on it. I'm taking my time trying to just do whatever is best for the fish :)
Length is more important than height to encourage their schooling behavior, yes?

Not as much for pygmy corys as other corydoras species, but yes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Natalie666
  • Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies
Views