How Many Fish After Cycle

mgrav21

Hi, this is my first post but I just finished a fishless cycle and after getting my water tested I’m ready to add fish. This is my first tank and it’s a 40 gallon breeder that I want to stock with about 10 Amano shrimp, 16 or so cardinal tetras, a bristlenose pleco, and 2-3 dwarf gourami. What order and how many of these fish should I first add to my tank since they cycle has completed??

Salem

I am not entirely sure on your current stocking plans but I am not experienced in community tanks- you may want to look into each individual fish to see what their requirements are. Tank size, if they like to be in groups, temperature, etc

I personally like to start slow with stocking. I like to add the ones that will have the smallest bioload first then slowly over time add the others. The most important thing is to not add them all at once or else you will mess up the cycle. I personally like to wait about 1-2 weeks between adding fish. You may also want to quarantine them.

jmarcf

I would start very slowly. Maybe just the tetras to begin with.

Brizburk

I'd do the amano shrimp and 8 tetras to start.

You'll have an ammonia spike, that's normal. Do frequent water changes. When your ammonia levels out to 0, add Gourami. You'll see another ammonia spike, it's actually quite fascinating to see the nitrogen cycle at work. After your cycle stabilizes again add your remaining fish.

You should be able to add plants at any point. The more fish the happier your plants will be.

Congrats on being so patient. I wasn't. I got filter media out of an established tank and threw fish in the next day - I cheated

david1978

Hopefully you mean 1 male and 2 female dwarf gouramI since its not recommended to have more then one male per tank due to aggression.

christiangrenier

Try not to overstock it...

mgrav21

Thanks for all your responses! I’ve done a lot of research and talked to my LFS store people about the stocking and yeah definitely no more than one male Gourami. I definitely wanted to start slow so I was thinking about 5 shrimp and 5 cardinals? Is this too light?

jmarcf

mgrav21 said:
Thanks for all your responses! I’ve done a lot of research and talked to my LFS store people about the stocking and yeah definitely no more than one male Gourami. I definitely wanted to start slow so I was thinking about 5 shrimp and 5 cardinals? Is this too light?
And maybe a couple of bullsharks

christiangrenier

mgrav21 said:
And then you’d introduce the others later?

jmarcf

christiangrenier said:
And then you’d introduce the others later?
Yeah it's just to build up the amount of good bacteria.

christiangrenier

jmarcf said:
Yeah it's just to build up the amount of good bacteria.
Sounds good

Sorg67

I personally like the idea of slow stocking. But I am a newbie so do not pay much attention my opinion.

I have heard others recommend going to full stocking immediately after a fishless cycle has completed. Their argument is that if you have completed a strong cycle (2 to 4 ppm ammonia to zero ammonia and zero nitrites in 24 hours) then your tank can handle a full stock and you do not have to worry about quarantining new fish if you introduce them all at once.

I am not suggesting that. Just passing along a different perspective I have heard from others.

SAM321

White skirt tetras and Rosy Barbs are hardy and great to start with.

Cardinals are my favourites, however, just be careful as they are not hardy

mgrav21

Yeah this is just to start out and I would slowly add more of each species then do the gouramI last.

christiangrenier

Ok!

JettsPapa

Brizburk said:
I'd do the amano shrimp and 8 tetras to start.

You'll have an ammonia spike, that's normal. Do frequent water changes. When your ammonia levels out to 0, add Gourami. You'll see another ammonia spike, it's actually quite fascinating to see the nitrogen cycle at work. After your cycle stabilizes again add your remaining fish.

You should be able to add plants at any point. The more fish 90] the happier your plants will be.

Congrats on being so patient. I wasn't. I got filter media out of an established tank and threw fish in the next day - I cheated 16]
I've read in several places that shrimp should only be added to a well established tank. Is that incorrect for amanos, or incorrect in general?

H2oAngels

I have three dwarf gouramI in my 65, all male. I wasn’t aware of the fact that they don’t get along at all. So be prepared, the males are the good looking ones so that’s all most places sell. Luckily the tank is decent size so they can easily get away from each other, but they do constantly chase each other and nip.

christiangrenier

JettsPapa said:
I've read in several places that shrimp should only be added to a well established tank. Is that incorrect for amanos, or incorrect in general?
Just make sure it is stable.

Sorg67

JettsPapa said:
I have read that it depends on the shrimp. Some do well in a newly established tank others are more sensitive.

jmarcf

I think most shrimp do well in most fry pans

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom