how many filters does a 55g need?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

does my 55g that im getting need two or one filters? Or will one that is for a 55g tank be ok?

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

For HOB you need at least 550gph or so. Ex: AquaClear 110 Power Filter

For a canister I'd go with the Rena xp3. It's what I run on my 55g.

We all have our own we like.

:)

3. LadyBug82 Member Member

ill be using the hang on back kind.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would do 2, one on each side. Otherwise, I would get one and a powerhead to aide in circulation. But for the price of a powerhead, you might as well just buy a filter and get all the benefits of the added media.

5. LadyBug82 Member Member

ok ill use the new one i bought for my 40g to help the 55g tank that comes with one then.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I use 2 emperor 400's on my 55 gallon. Seems to work pretty well.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Another option would be to run a single HOB with oversized sponge filters. My 55G is currently filtered with an AC70 plus a sponge filter rated for a 130G tank.

8. hero782 Initiate Member

I'm currently running 1 AC110 and 2 AC50 in my 55g with a ati sponge filter. In my 60g I am running 2 AC110 and a sponge filter. I like overfiltering all my tanks, but I do have cichlids.

9. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

i would go with the AC110 and a sponge filter

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

There is nothing wrong with over filtering so long as the fish are not pushed around by the added current.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Tank Equipment/Filters and Filtration section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

12. LadyBug82 Member Member

thanks ken

13. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I too overfilter my cichlid tank (60 gln) because I have SA Cichlids that cause quite a mess and need the extra filtering.... I am running a Fluval 206, a underwater Duetto (mostly for the air stream) and 2 Aquamarine 75 HOBs on my tank. I am moving about 900 gallons an hour. Seems insane I know, but I keep the water high so the current to broken by the top on the water. I still get nitrite spikes when I overfeed them or they don't eat what I give them. I have to vaccuum it out every other day. When I miss a day I get a nitrite spike. I am waiting for my 125 after I get my tax money so maybe this problem won't be as bad and they will have more room.

14. LadyBug82 Member Member

is it ok if u can post pics of the filters u r talking about so i can get a better idea of what they look like?

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I think the filter to have depends on the stock you want. What fish are you thinking for this tank?

16. LadyBug82 Member Member

guppies platys white cloud couple big ones and i will have two silver dollars

17. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

05group.png

HOB Filter.jpg http:///Aquarium_Filtration.html#hob This website gives the pros and cons of every kind of filter.

This first picture is pictures of Canister filters made by Fluval. This picture is taken from the Fluval Website.

The second picture is of an HOB filter and the picture is taken from the website listed above.

My personal opinion is that the HOB's are easier to use and access for maintenance, but that the Canister does a better job for Larger aquariums. I have one on my 60, only because I need A LOT of filtration for the Cichlids I have. The canisters allow you to have more filtration area to grow bacteria necessary for the aquarium to cycle. I have HOB's on the rest of my aquariums and find them perfectly adequate. They are less expensive than the canisters as well.

Wendy

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What a great link wendy! Hahaha, the author echos my sentiments on the filters.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Indeed a great link. Used it many times :)

With that stocking list it isnt all that important to get a very specific type of filter.

20. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;otIt might be a little to much information for the average aquarium person. It goes into quite a bit of depth when some people just want an answer and to be given the best solution.