How Many Females? Question

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Kyleena696, Apr 11, 2018.

?

How many female guppies for three males?

1. One is fine

2. 2:1 ratio (6)

3. More than six

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

So, I have a friend with a 20 gallon long tank with three male guppies (and a school of 10x harlequin rasboras and a 7 khuli loaches). She's interested in having some fry, but not heavily invested in helping them survive the other fish. However, she only wants to get one female and I'm not sure if this is wise.

Would three male guppies harass a single female too much? Or would it be okay?

2. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

3 males would more than likely stress only one female to death and they would all start fighting each other. A 2:1 ratio would be okay
    but she would definitely be swamped by fry even if they weren’t helped in any way.
    A better option was to pick her favourite male and rehome the other two and get two females so she would have some room for fry.

3. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

2 females to every male

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Minimum, I have a 4 to 1 ratio in my community and although I constantly have fry, the guppies are very peaceful.

But your friends tank is fully stocked.

5. OP
    OP
    Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I figured they would stress her to death, just wanted some second opinions before giving her a concrete answer.
    Why do you say it's fully stocked?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice