How Many Female And Male Guppies?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Olla, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Olla

OllaValued MemberMember

i have a 10 gallon tank and I am wondering should I get 3 male and 2 female guppies I think more than 5 would be a bit overstock. So how many males and female guppies.

2. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

You could have 5-6 female guppies in a 10g. Don't mix males and females unless you have a bigger tank to put the babies in or something.

3. OP
    OP
    Olla

OllaValued MemberMember

I like the males though especially the fancy ones their beautiful...

4. BalloonMollies

BalloonMolliesNew MemberMember

If you mix males and females, the females have to outnumber the males or they will get harrassed constantly by the males. Most female guppies will come already pregnant and will overstock your 10g within months. I suggest you have all males, you don't need to have females in the tank.

5. SarahMcGee

SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Actually I would suggest getting males because if you buy females they will probably already be pregnant and they store sperm so they will have babies every month for like 6 months and let me tell you that 10 gallon will be overcrowded before you can blink. The males may squabble a little but it shouldn't ever get very serious if you just stick with 5-6 in a 10 gallon. I wouldn't do less than 3 or one fish might constantly pick on another but you don't want them super crowded. I've kept like 20 young males in a 20 gallon for a few months and they didn't fight but it's really a matter of personality so you might get a "jerk" fish and have to rehome him.

Don't do 3 males and 2 females the males can literally chase the females to death if there are too many males to females. They just bother them until they die of stress.

Is this a new tank that hasn't been cycled? If it isn't cycled and you want to do a fish in cycle start with one guppy then slowly and more after it's been cycled.

6. OP
    OP
    Olla

OllaValued MemberMember

I’ve read somewhere that just male guppies can cause aggression? But the tank is nearly cycled it has a single female Betta. If they don’t cause aggression how many males should I get?

7. BalloonMollies

BalloonMolliesNew MemberMember

If you want guppies I don't reccomend having them with your betta, they will pester the betta and she might tear them up real bad.

If the guppies are the only species in the tank, 5-6 male guppies would do well.

8. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

If you want tank mates with your betta maybe look into pygmy corys or otos. Although if your betta is very docile you could maybe have 3-4 male guppies.

9. OP
    OP
    Olla

OllaValued MemberMember

Okay thanks.

She doesn’t really roam around the tank much, she’s pretty chill. Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  10. SarahMcGee

SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Fish all have there own personality so we can really tell you if your betta will be aggressive. I couldn't keep a male betta with male guppies because after a few days he did nip ones tail. As far as male guppies together they do get slightly aggressive inn my experience but I've only had them actually damage each others tail when I had 2 together. The tail grew back when I put them in a larger group. With 5-6 they just kind of show off to each other but never cause any physical harm. Same with bettas though guppies all have their own personality so if you happen to get an aggressive one be prepared to take that one back and exchange it.