How many fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank?

Mollipop
Let's talk Goldie's - How many fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank?

Advertisement
Claire Bear
Hi, I don't currently have goldies but when I did, I would say two but many will say three. I just know they are huge waste producers and for me, two works!

Advertisement
aHumanBeing
I say 2 or maybe a max of 3 if you have very good filtration that turns over the water 10x per hour. I'm putting 3 possibly 4 in my 75G with an eheim 2217 and another canister due in the future, also the tank has a sand bottom.

Rivieraneo
4 Max. You can find info on my ranchu tank in my profile and threads.

ZombieKeepr
I'm one to find overstocked tanks more enthralling and captivating then ones with 2 or 3 fish, but honestly, the answer depends on what your setup is or will be and how much time you spend on it. I have 6 in my heavily planted 55 with a canister filter rated for a 100gal. 1 ryukin, 1 fantail, 1 moor, 1 oranda, 1 lionhead & 1 shubunkin and of course other fish. People would tell you that my setup is wrong, but honestly 1) I haven't seen many fish grow HUGE after the first few years of their lives and they're all past that[and big in their own way, but no 8" monsters] & 2) fancy goldfish in my experience/opinion do better in warmer tanks so I keep them with my tropicals and just try to keep everyone in the mid-70s[I say try because I live in FL]. Fish adapt and can do poorly in any environment depending on how they're cared for. A tank with a bunch of fish seemed to work out better for me personally. They have companions and better maintenance from me because I want to keep multiple fish happy, not assuming that just cause one fish is in a 30gal, it'll be ok because he has the maximum amount of water available which tends to happen when you get ... bored for a lack of better words.

Attachments

• CAM00520_zps4dd6137e.jpg
    CAM00520_zps4dd6137e.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 14,364
Rivieraneo
Zombie, what type of plants are those in your tank and what is your water change schedule. I think your set up works because of the plants helping manage your nitrate levels and your fish not being too large. As your Goldie's grow, I see a potential issue with nitrates. My fancies are growing fast, how long have you owned your Goldie's and what is your feeding schedule?

Advertisement

Mollipop
I have seven fancies in my tank, however I have a uv filter, 75 power filter,man old ten gallon filter, and two moss balls. All of the goldfish are still young as well. My tank has two wood rock decorations and plants

Rivieraneo
My guys and gals are about 4 inches and growing. When I purchased them last summer, they were around 2.5 inches.

ZombieKeepr
Rivieraneo: I have jungle val, crypts, anubias, anacharis[which surprisingly the goldies don't touch] & java moss in there. My water change schedule varies from 30-50% when I get around to it which annoyingly can be within a week to a month. The plants definitely help me out but I think another reason my setup works is just because my fish are pet store "mutts" who were stunted from the get go. Not saying that I'm using that to neglect them because if I thought they needed it, I'd definitely upgrade and I love them a LOT but they haven't shown the typical signs of being monsters and being fast growing. They're pretty even. Most my GF has had for a couple years tho. The oranda & shubbie[a feeder tank rescue] are newer.

Mollipop
My goldfish are growing slowly and have grown less than am inch in a year, when needed I am more than willing to upgrade for them, I love them

Advertisement

Rivieraneo
Love the plant life in your tank. Unfortunately, my Goldie's are ever growing poop machines. I do one weekly water change to manage nitrates, but plan on building larger planters and growing my tanks plant life to help me manage nitrates. You have a nice Goldie paradise going there!

Mollipop
Do you guys know anything about white cloud minnows? I have two of them who have spawned and currently have seven fry in a mesh breeders

ZombieKeepr
Do you guys know anything about white cloud minnows? I have two of them who have spawned and currently have seven fry in a mesh breeders

Start a new thread. I know about them. Just ask away.

Nice tank! Cute goldies.

Mollipop
Thanks I'm a newbie just started last April with a five gallon, then a week later got a twenty gallon, then two months later for this 55. The smaller rock is new because I had to get rid of some driftwood because the Goldie's were getting stuck. This pic was taken tonight before they got dinner, so there a,, "begging" it's funny I bought them these 20$ frozen shrimp and spiraluna cubes, sand they hate them. They love their flakes. I always feed them underwater so they don't gasp air.

Advertisement

Rivieraneo
Thanks I'm a newbie just started last April with a five gallon, then a week later got a twenty gallon, then two months later for this 55. The smaller rock is new because I had to get rid of some driftwood because the Goldie's were getting stuck. This pic was taken tonight before they got dinner, so there a,, "begging" it's funny I bought them these 20$ frozen shrimp and spiraluna cubes, sand they hate them. They love their flakes. I always feed them underwater so they don't gasp air.

I would suggest you switch to sinking pellets. Also, what type of brine shrimp/spirinula cubes did you buy? ive seen the 30 pak ones for only about $5.

Mollipop
Not sure the brand name, but their frozen

Beeker
3 in a 55.
They have a very heavy bioload, grow very quickly, and are very active fish.

I have 4 in my 75 gallon and plan to add one more.

lbonini1
Hey everyone! First off I'd like to say that the gift went swimmingly (Pun unintended) and he actually got delayed a week so I got to watch the fish for a week and that's why I'm here...

So my family and I have decided that we want Goldfish and so I went out and with the help of my whole family we have bought a 55 Gallon Starter Kit.

Now my question; how many are recommended to go inside the tank once we get it up and running (Using SafeStart+ of course )

We all picked one variation of Goldfish to buy once we get everything set up..

1x Fantail Goldfish
1x Black Moor
1x Calico Goldfish
1x Redcap Oranda

Would this be overstocked? Thanks!

Advertisement

Anders247
Welcome to fishlore!
The rule is 20 gallon for the first fancy and 10 gallon extra for each one after that. So you could have 4-5 fancies.

hollie1505
That sounds like a good mix. The only thing to be aware of is the moor, having worse eyesight than the others may struggle for food. Worst case scenario, you may have to hand feed him. Potentially Orandas fall into this bracket depending on their wen size. However, any fish can have bad eyes I suppose!

Calico is a colour type. They come in all kinds, as long as it's a fancy and not common it will work with the others.

Best of luck! Don't forget the photos!

lbonini1
Welcome to fishlore!
The rule is 20 gallon for the first fancy and 10 gallon extra for each one after that. So you could have 4-5 fancies.

Thank you! I think I'll go for 4 though I know how messy they are...

That sounds like a good mix. The only thing to be aware of is the moor, having worse eyesight than the others may struggle for food. Worst case scenario, you may have to hand feed him. Potentially Orandas fall into this bracket depending on their wen size. However, any fish can have bad eyes I suppose!

Calico is a colour type. They come in all kinds, as long as it's a fancy and not common it will work with the others.

Best of luck! Don't forget the photos!

Aw that's a shame about the Black Moor, there's a few at my local Petco and it is literally the cutest Goldfish I've ever laid my eyes on. I'm sure there's cuter ones but then again their stocks were a little low the day I went.

I won't forget the photos!

hollie1505
I've had moors with Orandas and Fantails with no problems, many do. It's just something to keep an eye on. I wouldn't let that alter your decision.

I would check that the calico is a fancy and not a common. Other than that, your stocking sounds good.

Advertisement

lbonini1
I've had moors with Orandas and Fantails with no problems, many do. It's just something to keep an eye on. I wouldn't let that alter your decision.

I would check that the calico is a fancy and not a common. Other than that, your stocking sounds good.

Another friend of mine told me he ordered a bunch of Otocinclus Catfish online and was wondering if I'd take 1 or 2. Should I? I mean they're so tiny, I'm afraid they'd get eaten by the Goldies!

Marlaina
Hey. Saw your post. Basically, as has been stated, 20gal for first fish and then 10gal per extra is good.

Also, as stated, keep an eye on the moor. Fish with telescope, celestial, or bubble eyes tend to have poor eyesight which can make it harder to make sure they are getting the proper food intake as the competition will be fierce. Remember, despite having poorer eyesight, moors are still goldfish and ALL goldfish are voracious eaters.

Currently I have two fancies in a 40 gallon tank: a Calico Fantail and a Black Moor. My moor is missing his right eye, so I named him Odin. He seems to get along just fine but I do try to drop enough food for him in front of him so he sees it. I also watched his behavior while he was at the store and saw he was VERY active and healthy, which sealed the deal.

Another thing to keep in mind is decoration. If you're going to have fancies in your tank, especially Orandas and Moors, you want to make sure there are no sharp edges as this could damage your moor's eyes and the Oranda's wen (that brainy portuberance on the tops of their heads). If you're going to have fake rocks, logs, or plants, I would make sure the edges are rounded and the plants are not made of hard plastic.

Just a few tips. Other than that, all of those variations do well with one another from personal experience. Best of luck.

-Marlaina

Coradee
Another friend of mine told me he ordered a bunch of Otocinclus Catfish online and was wondering if I'd take 1 or 2. Should I? I mean they're so tiny, I'm afraid they'd get eaten by the Goldies!

Oto's are a shoaling fish & should be kept in groups, they also wouldn't do well with goldfish as they're very sensitive to water quality.

Siould
You could fit 6 Fancy Goldfish in a 55-gallon aquarium. You need at least a 30-gallon for fancy goldfish. They are easy to care for.

Advertisement

AliciaI
You're on the right track with 4 in a 55, I wouldn't go any more than that because as they grow the maintenance would become a chore.
The moor should be fine, though as suggested, be sure that it gets enough food. I keep a butterfly telescope with a variety of other goldfish and he's nice and rotund. Goldfish are big waste producers, so large, frequent water changes are vital in keeping them happy and healthy , especially when they're adults (I'd check your tap and tank ph before doing large water changes though, wouldn't want to shock them)

hollie1505
I'd stick to four, five tops in a 55. I wouldn't say they were easy as they're poop machines, the maintenance is a pain in the backside but they appreciate it so it's worth it!xx

Marlaina
Literally they are poop machines. Pay attention to how much you feed them. They don't have stomachs so they don't realize they are full. With mine At least for the first few feedings I watched them to get an idea of how much they eat within 3 minutes. The tank should be clear of food after 5. I'd find a breeder tank too. They're not so good at the up and down swimming but they are pretty good at the side by side. And they're ao cute to watch with their wiggling.

Also they do get attached to the people who care for them. I woke up this morning to see both of mine waiting in the corner of the tank that's closest to where I sleep. They got all excited when I sat up and then when my boyfriend walked over to the tank they could barely contain themselves. It was adorable.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

hollie1505
They are the most appreciative, friendly, happy fish I have ever owned. Completely personable and gorgeous!

Advertisement

Marlaina
If well taken care of, they are fantastic companions. You can teach them things, like swimming through hoops or finding items hidden in their tank. It's awesome. They may not be as active and into it as a puppy, but they are lifelong companions and very cute to watch. I like to sit and watch my fishies after a long hard day at work. They always cheer me up.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

alittlefishy
Hi! So I was wondering about how many fancy goldfish I could fit in a 55 gallon tank. According to a tank calculator it's four. I'm not sure so I need a little help

techfool
Five? I don't like even numbers so that's my rationale ...
With good filtration you can get away with a lot but factor in how much work you want to do and your comfort level re stocking density.

Fanatic
You'd be much safer, and have more success with only keeping about 3, I am not sure about 4.

Advertisement

Jocelyn Adelman
I would stick to three as well

Bruxes and Bubbles
I'd say three as well. Four may be doable for the smaller types of fancy goldfish, but would require a lot of water changes. Three is probably your best bet.

alittlefishy
I have two filters so yeah

I'm also planning on getting orandas ranchus or Pom poms

I was wondering what sort of fancy goldfish I should get for my tank

KinsKicks
Hello!

First things first, how big is the tank? Most common fancies are pretty easy to care for once you give them their basic needs; but tank size is usually the priority for considering to house one

Advertisement

Galathiel
I think you might need to be more cautious with some of the popeyed types (and I'm not sure about the ones like the pom-poms, etc.). I'm just planning (hopefully) to get fantails or veiltails. I love the flowy, without the poppin' . I don't care for fleshy growths (ala oranda) or without a dorsal (hello there ranchu). Okay ... so that basically just leaves fantails, veiltails, and ryukins.

ETA: On second thought .. not really fond of the hunchback ... so maybe just .. fantails/Veiltails.

techfool
the biggest problem with fancy goldfish is swimbladder issues as their bodies are compressed. I guess the best fish to get are the ones that are a bit flatter looking and not as "round".

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tonyshark
Replies
Views
Charlie’s Dad
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views