How many emerald "corys" in 55 gal?

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am considering getting a 55 gal and putting all the current occupants of my 30 gal (2 angels, 2 emerald corys & 1 albino, 6 red-eyed tetras, 2 siamese algae eaters) and 10 gal (5 serpae tetras and 6 diamond tetras) in it. I'd like to add more corys, either 3 more emeralds or 1 more emerald and 2 more albinos. Which would make more sense?

Thanks!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1 emerald and 2 albinos makes more sense to me. Emeralds get BIG.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is what I've heard and read. I was hoping maybe 55 gal would be big enough for 6 emeralds. They are easier to spot with my substrate...the albino blends in! Right how all three are the same size and hang out together, but I've read that when the emeralds get big, they and the smaller corys won't school together.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd return the emeralds and get bronze corys then instead - they look like emeralds but are the same species as the albinos.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've seen that pic - amazing! I can't return the emeralds because my LFS won't permit it. All they have are emeralds, albinos and false julis. I really don't want to order fish on-line...

I've got some time to figure all this out because due to vacations, etc. I won't even get the 55 gal until late August.

Thanks for all your help!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure they are emeralds? They look awful similar to bronzes when they are small.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, they were labeled Bronchis Speldens (hope I spelled that right!).

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish can be mislabeled. Check the dorsal fin - if there are like 12 rays and it goes back almost to the 2nd fin, its a brochis. If there's only sevral and there is a noticeable gap between the dorsal fins, its a bronze.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I'll check tonight.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads