How many dwarf puffers?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by bassbonediva, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I found someone on CL giving away some dwarf puffers they bought without doing any research and since I've wanted to do a dwarf puffer tank for a while and have some extra/empty tanks, I figure now is as good a time as any.

I have three tanks I can use. I have a 5g flat back hex, a 10g and a 20gL. I know I can realistically only fit one puffer in either the 5g or 10g. But what about the 20gL? The guy said that he's pretty sure they're all females.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

With a 20L You can have 4-6 Peas depending on how you decorate. They like lowish light, lots of plants, a sand bottom, and slower flow.

3. tress29Valued MemberMember

On a DP forum, most recommend 5 g for first puffer, 3 for each additional, so up to 3 in a 10g tank. However, more than one male will be problematic. Lots of plants gives everyone a place to hide from the others if needed.

4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Have to agree. 1 pea per every 5g is the usual recommendation. I had a pea before and loved him. I was going to set up a 20l puffer only tank and everyone said 4 or 5. Lots of plants, real or fake, is the key. They need to get away if they want and hide.

5. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Are pea puffers the one that need their teeth trimmed? (sorry for hijacking)

6. tress29Valued MemberMember

Nope! They are the tiny fresh water puffs about the size of a jelly bean!

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

They are pretty adorable. The only reason why I'm hesitant about getting puffers is the fact that some need brackish/SW and some need their teeth trimmed. It's good to know that they don't need their teeth trimmed.

8. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

the dwarf puffer doesn't need brackish water either

9. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Nope, freshwater and no teeth trimming with dwarf pea puffers. A few tasty snails per week and they are fine.

10. RogueAgent94

Pea puffers are completely freshwater. They do not like ANY salt in their water. And the snails they like to eat will wear down their teeth. No need for any type of tooth trimming. Note that some only eat ramshorn and pond snails. Most prefer to eat young snails because the larger snails are too big to eat.

11. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

So, this person has six total, all of which they say are female. Could I do all six in my 20gL or should I only do three or four? I was planning on heavily planting the tank and having lots of driftwood and rocks for hiding places.

12. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

As.long as its 1 or no boys u should be good. The more plants and anything that creates territories the better. Ive got six in a 29 with driftwood and lots of plants, ive added decor o the front gravel area I left open to discourage food hoarding. Think vertical with tank additions, these guys use every corner of tank for cruising and snail patrol (mine love snails). No area is too small to patrol or claim.

13. RogueAgent94

Honestly, I never noticed a difference when I had no males or lots of males. Mine were wild caught though so that may have made a difference. I would try all six if you can! If not then send me the other two LOL. Weird how as soon as I start planning a pea tank two other people on here get peas.. BEFORE me! Not fair lol.

14. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

I figure if a couple of them get too aggressive, I've still got the 5g and the 10g...and my weird 9g long steel-rimmed tanks to work with.

My boyfriend and I gathered some awesome pieces of driftwood for the 20gL, so I should be good with hidey holes.

15. RogueAgent94

That's great! I hope you have fun setting up the tank. BTW try to get the finest sand possible. Rough sand can scratch them up. Also, they really like Jungle Val or just vals in general so I'd get some of those.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice