How Many Dwarf Puffers For A 10g Cube

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most people say a max of 3 in a 10 gallon, 2 girlies and a male, we had 5 in our standard 10, but a cube is a bit different. As long as it is heavily planted there shouldn't be much trouble, we only had aggression during feeding, though our puffers were still a bit on the younger side as well. But we also had an incorrect mix of sexes.
So anywhere from 3-4 is your best bet, especially in a cube which is *technically* smaller than a standard.

Samilouw

Reaction score
Most people say a max of 3 in a 10 gallon, 2 girlies and a male, we had 5 in our standard 10, but a cube is a bit different. As long as it is heavily planted there shouldn't be much trouble, we only had aggression during feeding, though our puffers were still a bit on the younger side as well. But we also had an incorrect mix of sexes.
So anywhere from 3-4 is your best bet, especially in a cube which is *technically* smaller than a standard.
Is there any way of knowing their sexes when I buy them?

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is there any way of knowing their sexes when I buy them?
Females sometimes have a more mottled appearance, when they are younger they have baby spots and stripes, and when they are older these fade off the male into just a few spots where the females stay looking young sometimes.
I think females have a bright yellowish belly too, and then the males develop a dark stripe from their tail to mid body as well, it can be a little difficult, and it doesn't mean they'll chase each other down like bettas might if you get too many males, but it will add a bit of aggression as they fight for dominance and attention.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most people recommend 3 puffers for a 10g. You might be able to do more depending on individual circumstances, but make sure you only get 1 male (and the rest all females). I found this site was great to help ID gender when I was first getting my pea puffers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom