How many dwarf gouramis?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How many dwarf gouramis would I be able to put in the new 37 gallon tank? It is looking a little bear since there is all this room and not that many fish.
Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
2" per fish so technically 18 of them if you don't have any other fish in the tank besides them. However, it depends on how densely you are going to plant/decorate the tank and if you have some caves or dense areas for each of the males to have a place to call home. You are best off with 1 male to 2 females as your ratio, but if you are going to have a few males, you could probably get away with a few less females (i.e. if you had 4 males, instead of getting 8 females you would probably be ok with 6). Just watch out for breeding couples as they will get really territorial of their nest areas.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The males tend to fight if in the same tank, so as was suggested a male and a couple of females would be great.
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is usually the ratio for males to females?
Tom

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned... 2 females to 1 male.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, sorry I missed that. Thanks. I will probably get some next week if I have enough money.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got 2 males since the males were on sale and the females were still the $10 each and way to much for a gourami in my opinion.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good for you! I find they are tough fish.We pay R20 for them here, and my lfs never has a sale!!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabi said:
Good for you! I find they are tough fish.We pay R20 for them here, and my lfs never has a sale!!
That store normally didn't take much care of their tanks, but now for the past few months they have hired new staff that knows what they are talking about and really cleaned up their act. Their 'sale' is always on if you are a member(free to join) and you can get other deals also as well as an e-newsletter. I think they have turned out really good and am starting to think of getting more stuff from there since I pass it evertime I come home from work.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom