How many dojo loach in 125 gallon

Guppypuffercichlidnerd

I want to have dojo loches in a 125 gallon but don’t know how many, could anyone help. Also can they breed with an Oscar in the tank with them. If not, what are some good tankmates for planted tanks with them that won’t eat the loches babies. And the loach won’t pick on them. Overall, how many dojo loches in a 125 and what are some good tankmates that won’t eat the babies.

Noroomforshoe

How long is the tank? If its 72 inches, you should ok to keep the minimum size school of 6. If its 48 inches, 2-3. It really depends on how many other fish you keep. Especially when the dojos start getting to 8-10 inches or more.

So you want to breed them? I know very little about this. Dropping the temperature is one way to get them motivated. And that could be stressful to other inhabitants . Dojos thrive in cooler temperatures then tropical fish, I dont know if an oscar is an ideal tank mate. I have never had an oscar, so....

It was my understanding that loaches are not going to take care of the eggs or the fry, And therefore they will not be safe if cept in the tank with the parents. But again IDK, I would like to see what others have to say.

Upvote 0

Guppypuffercichlidnerd

Ok yeah I want to breed them, thank you for you answer. I was thinking putting a whole lot of plants in it and having a huge school of cherry barbs maybe.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

Dojo loaches don't breed too readily in an aquarium setting, so it might come down to luck. If you're really dead set on breeding them, the way they breed/farm dojos in their home country is to keep them in outdoor ponds/tubs/tanks with a deep layer of mud with leaf litter on top. The babies live in the mud so they stay safe and they multiply pretty fast.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, from my understanding breeding Dojo's comes down to luck in the aquarium. Factors like barometric pressure and weather seem to play a big role in triggering them to spawn, which is not something that you can readily achieve in an aquarium. Accidental spawns seem more likely to take place in outdoor ponds where these conditions can naturally occur.

Upvote 0

Shannon108

I would maybe have a school of 6-8 depending on the dimensions and how long the tank is. And yes, they can be quite difficult to breed, but not impossible

Unfortunately I wouldn’t keep them with oscars though, dojos like really cool temps, the highest they should go would be about 73 degrees, and oscars prefer warmer temps, like 78 degress

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

6 or 7 is fine depending on your dimensions. Getting them to breed in aquariums is rare and pretty difficult. Like the others said if you want to breed them outdoors Is the best way to go. Good luck!

Upvote 0

JanS

It's very rare for them to be bred by the average person - they require certain temperatures, air pressure etc. I had 3 with a max size of 18" each - the 4th one (from the same store) never grew past 6 inches. How often do you test/change your water? DoJo's eat everything and a lot of it so they also poop a LOT. I lost all but 1 of the Dojo's nearly overnight - I had moved them from a 50 gallon to a fully-newly cycled 90 gallon tank because they kept hitting the walls. I was also fighting white algae in the old tank and hoped to get rid of it with a newly cycled tank. They were the only 4 fish in the 90 gallon which had been well cycled,(I'd gone through 3 overnight conversions of ammonia to nitrates) and had also added some bacteria. They seemed fine for about a week and they are the hardiest fish i've ever had. One day I woke up to 2 dead and a 3rd and 4th nearly dead. I ended up with one survivor out of 4. I tested the water and found that ammonia levels were off the scale! I quickly added Prime as a temporary ammonia deactivator and some other chemicals meant to neutralize ammonia permanently. None of this ammonia had ever turned into Nitrites at all - it just stayed off the scale with the ammonia readings. So it obviously lost it's cycle. That said - I would say 1 adult loach per 50 gallons of water and only if you don't have other "dirty" fish in there like goldfish and other loach species. Once my tank straightens out, I will add one more - they need companions, but don't expect any breeding - to happen, And keep up with your water testing, and don't overfeed. DoJo are mainly ground feeders but will also eat flakes or anything else. And what goes in, must come out. I also checked my small tank of plecos and gourami and the Ammonia readings were over the top just like the other tank - so in their case, I think i was overfeeding (and plecos are also dirty fish). So nobody died, but my assistant came in today and he's doing a 3rd water change on both tanks. Oh I also added AmGuard (by Seacrest) meant to disable ammonia and I made up two bags of Zeolight crystals. Getting ready to test the big tank now. Hold your breath.....dang - after 3 water changes - ammonia is 1.0 - which is still pretty bad but its the best I've seen yet. Changing a 90 gallon tank takes a couple of hours and I'm technically supposed to be resting due to some procedures I had on my back so I'm going to keep those Zeolite crystals in there (I have a canister filter which is full of media so we're just hanging the little bag infront of the water stream. The cool thing about Zeolite is that as soon as it goes from gray to black, you just have to soak it in a light bleach solution overnight and it will turn back to grey - then rinse it to death to get any trace of bleach off the crystals. And it also works. If I had been using it all along I probably would never had this problem.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • Question
75 Gallon Tank How Many Dojo Loaches?
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies